I want to start writing my own stuff and I cannot write a single thing in Standard Tuning, but whenever I had my guitar tuned to Drop C (cause i wanted to cover some SOAD songs) I wrote like 3 pages of riffs.

After that I wanted to learn more theory so I tuned back to stardard and practiced. I tried writing my own stuff once again with what i've learned and wrote down a page-or-so of riffs.

Well I wanted to play some Dethklok stuff, so I tuned my guitar to C standard and attempted to play some of their stuff. It didn't work out. I can't play anything that dethklok does except for some easy riffs.

While I had my guitar tuned to C standard I wrote down 5-6 pages of riffs the I thought sounded good.

Well once again I tuned my guitar to Standard to practice my sweep picking and attempt to play some solos. I just started sweep picking and I know no solos to date. I've been playing for 2 years in April.

So what I wanted to know is: Should I keep my guitar in Standard tuning and keep practicing with the sweeps and try and learn a solo or should I go ahead and tune my guitar to C standard and start writing my own stuff and practicing my sweeps?
write in whatever tuning you feel works best for YOU. unless you want to play in a cover band for the rest of your life, then i'd suggest finding a tuning that bests suits you, experiment with other tunings, such as:
C# standard
Drop C#
D# Standard

hell, even mess with some baritone tunings too. it's all just finding out who you are musically.
Whatever is conveniant.

Are you going to end up teaching others your stuff? 'cause a lot fo people don't like tuning their guitar differently. Are you gonna perform? Then you need to make sure you stay mostly in the one tuning.

It shouldn't really matter unless you involve other people.
Quote by metul kult
write in whatever tuning you feel works best for YOU. unless you want to play in a cover band for the rest of your life, then i'd suggest finding a tuning that bests suits you, experiment with other tunings, such as:
C# standard
Drop C#
D# Standard

hell, even mess with some baritone tunings too. it's all just finding out who you are musically.

+1

if you wanna write in standard, write in standard. if you wanna write in drop C, write in drop C.

the thing is, thats alot of changing tuning just to play different stuff.
why dont you try drop C#?
its only half step up from drop C, and if you tune the C# up a step its in Eb standard, which is only half step down from standard.

its like a happy medium, AND you dont have to retune every single string.

(if you dont know, drop C# is C# G# C# F# A# D#)
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by peaches58`
I say just figure out what you like to play in most and stick to that.

+1
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.