I just bought a new12 string accoustic.

I read at some places that you should tune it one step lower and use a capot on the 2nd fret to relieve tension........... or that you can avoid doing that if you buy light gage strings ( how light I don't know) .......some say it's not a problem, modern 12 strings are made to carry the tension.....

Can anyone share his knowledge on the subject ? thanks
I would tune it down either one or two steps to release tension. But that might be preference because I bend strings a lot and it would be very difficult otherwise. Did you buy it online or from a store? I would take it in and ask to be sure though.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
I use .010 phosphur bronze on my 12-string Ovation, tuned to E. It plays easily. I know many people say its easier to play and its less strain on the neck, but these guitars are designed to be played at concert pitch. But... to each his/her own.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
thanks for the replys.

It's a rather cheap Fender I bought from a store. I guess I should tune it to D and use a capot. I remmber I had to tune it when trying it in the store. It was tuned in D.

Do you know a good capot that will make each string sound right ? I'm having trouble with the lighter strings of the pairs.
A Keyser 12-string Capo should work fine (~$20). But keeping a capo on it will cause extra wear on the first fret over time.

Its funny, I find many stores tune their guitars to D. Probably because its easier to play, not very a realistic though.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Last edited by Auriemma at Jan 5, 2010,