Hi, this is probably a retarded question, but I'll ask anyways.
Okay, so I have a 5-string(Schecter Hellraiser if it helps) and the tuning is BEADG. Is there any way to make it EADGC? Like instead of the Low B, put a High C on it? Or does that not work because of the fretboard and stuff?

Also, another question... I've been learning how to tap, and it's been taking a toll on my ring finger, and pinky.. they're to the point where it hurts a lot when i just touch the string.. So should I just keep going and play? will the pain go away?
Or should I wait for it to 'heal' or whatever?
Plenty of people string 5ers with a high C. Some manufacturers make relevant string packs, others don't. If you can't find a 5 string pack with a high C, get a six string set. A little setup is obviously required.

Tapping shouldn't hurt. If it hurts, you're doing it wrong. Give your fingers a bit of time off, and then evaluate your technique.
You might be beating the crap out of the strings - a common tapping mistake. Practice very slowly pushing the strings down, and pulling off the strings with a slight downward angle using your fretting hand, and a slight upward angle using the other hand. Use a metronome, and speed it up.

Doing it this way should help you with technique and cleanliness.
Oh okay, so it wouldn't sound weird or anything if the original tuning was a B, and then I put a C on it??

No, I mean like I haven't yet built up strong calluses on those fingers, and the skin tore, so like idk if you remember from your early years, but the softer skin under the main layer or whatever... idk, it just hurts when i try to tap with those two. My index and middle are fine, as I use them a lot for strumming, whereas I don't use my ring finger very often. Idk, I might be doing it wrong, also.
Quote by jean_genie
You might be beating the crap out of the strings - a common tapping mistake. Practice very slowly pushing the strings down, and pulling off the strings with a slight downward angle using your fretting hand, and a slight upward angle using the other hand. Use a metronome, and speed it up.

Doing it this way should help you with technique and cleanliness.

Nope, I'm doing it slowly, and letting the muscle memory take care of the speed later on. It was cuz I played for about 4 hours a day, for a couple of days without stopping, and without calluses so idk, I guess it's just like having unprotected sex... my fingers got herpes.. haha
You'll probably have to go lighter than .45 or so if you tune to high "C," so it might involve a new nut. A skinny "C" string might get lost in the nut slot cut for a traditional "G" bass string.

And yeah, ease up on the mashing your fingers into the fretboard for tapping. Bass tapping certainly takes more force than guitar tapping, but if you are using enough force to cause serious pain, you are overdoing it. Turn your preamp up so you don't need so much pressure to make the note sound. You might also want to look into smaller frets if you plan to do a lot of tapping.
oh okay. Hmmm I'll have to think about it then if it involves getting a new nut.. hmm...

Yeah, I think that'd be smart :P But wait, Isn't it easier to tap on the lower frets, than the higher frets?? well im comparing like fret 7 with fret 15...
You'll definitely have more space between the frets at the far end of the neck than up in the higher register, but it won't be any easier to push the strings down with a tap since the strings are the same thickness throughout their length. Taller fretwire makes tapping more difficult because you have to push the string down farther in order to fret the note, so smaller frets might make it easier. Practice tapping at slow speed until you can fret the notes clearly, and then try speeding it up. And since tapping involves varying dynamics in the sounding of the note, try a little compression to even them out (not too much, though).
if your action is high you'll, need more force to tap so you might want to get it lowered?

Also don't let possibly replacing your nut stop you from getting a high C. new nuts are like 10 bucks for a graphteck and they're are pretty good.
no sir away a papaya war is on
The new string 99% of the time will not involve a new nut. The C string will fit fine and there will just be a few small adjustments to be made and you'll be away.

As for the tapping, I'm not an expert or anything, but my guess is A) you're doing it too hard or B) your action is too high.
Elixir only sell 4 string kits, but you can buy an aditional elixir B or C string. If you find the elixir 4string price to be too much, just get their high C.
Oh okay that's good, because I am broke, and my dad doesn't want to spend lots of money. If I have to set up a new nut, does anyone have any idea how much it would cost for GC or a local music shop to do it for me, since I don't have any experience in these things?? Like $20-$50 for new strings, and possible $20 for the nut and replacing the strings? somewhere around there?

Yeah, thanks for the action comment, I'll check that and see if that's the problem. I'll also try to hit the strings softer haha.. Also, another question.. When tapping, when I'm pulling off with my right hand, do I need to pull of in an upwards, or downward motion? or does it not matter?? Because down feels a lot more comfortable. Sorry about all the questions, I'm fairly new to bass... kinda.
you can pull off with an up or down motion. it doesn't matter, kinda like bending
no sir away a papaya war is on
Okay, thank you very much for that, as I thought I was doing it wrong and it was a pain trying to do it up... so thanks man!