what makes them so spesh
its a bitter sweet symphony this life try to make ends meet your a slave to money then you die
the blackstar HT 5
its a bitter sweet symphony this life try to make ends meet your a slave to money then you die
price, quality, what you get, and the fact it's similar to a marshall at a fraction of the price
Looky loo, we got ourselves a Rachael Ray here.

Say the whole word. Words like 'spesh' and 'delish' make you sound like your parents were related.
Quote by nightraven

This.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Well IMO, they're not that special anymore, not now that Blackstar raised the price of the HT-5's. The amp didn't really suit my needs well either, still sounded great.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
The HT5 is amazing for the price. In my little bedroom I can turn the volume down low and it still sounds like a tube amp, and when I plug in my distortion pedal it still screams when I want high gain

The price/tone/variety ratio of it can't be beaten
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
their pedals are amazing...

This.

Also their other amps are amazing as well. Expensive but hey they are awesome.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Well it isn't because they've got a cool name. It's a cormier name than Orange. I'm just guessing, but it's probably because people like their products.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Because of the HT5, and how great it sounds.
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
I don't really like the HT-5.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
they look really coooool. Especially their cabs. It's got really purty lettering and the little star looks like a converse symbol. ultra cool.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Its a really good amp for a pretty low price. I got my combo for under $400. Its still a good deal at $500. If mine crapped out I would buy another.
I've only played through their Artisan 100 halfstack, but the tone was spectacular and it was loud enough to qualify as a weapon of mass destruction. The build quality seemed first-rate, too. If all of their amplifiers are that good, then the hype is well deserved.

Waiting to try a Series One 100-watt. Haven't found one in a shop yet.
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Jan 3, 2010,
I can’t comment on the high-end, but the HT-5 is a great, versatile, no-bullshit tube amp. The equalizer hits that sweet spot between control that’s too fine and control that doesn’t do anything. Throw in the ISF and you get nearly as much range as a modeling amp without all the annoying gimmicks and flaws.

It has everything it needs: a separate gain channel, a headphone/line out jack with cabinet emulation, and an effects loop. It doesn’t get loud on the clean channel and has limited bass output—I can fill my apartment with sound and not piss off the neighbors. It’s got a simple design so gearheads can open it up and swap different tubes in for different tones.

I think the Blackstar HT-5 has filled the hole left by the small solid-state amps we all used before Line 6 came along and wiped them out. I’ve tried modeling amps and multi-effects units and I just find they’re always close but not close enough and a little irritating.

And I have to admit, Blackstar is just the coolest name for an amp brand EVER. I really get off playing Dethklok riffs through my Blackstar stack. It just feel badass. Were I a gigging musician I would totally want to stand in front of a row of Blackstar logos—in a way that’s even cooler than the Marshall logo.
Not a whole lot of low wattage tube amps have all the features that the HT-5 has for the price. They've gotten popular pretty quickly, especially on UG. My local guitar center now has 3 on the floor.
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
The cleans are O-R-G-A-S-M-I-C Best cleans ive played. Not that i have much experience but they rock!

The distortion is G-R-E-A-T

It can emulate both a marshall and a mesa

The best pratice amp by far.
I don't think I'd buy one since the price raise, howver they do sound nice.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
The Series One amps. I've yet to find an amp that's so versatile, yet still sounds amazing and unique.
The HT-5 has been the best 'growing-up' amp I've ever had. Tonally it's quite versatile and very touch sensitive with the right guitar. It's also cool that you can get some nice tone at very low volume while still having enough power to inflict hearing damage.

Really it's just a shame that they're expensive now. At $400 I don't think I'd ever bother getting another.

As for the Series One amps. Whatever with those. $1700USD for the 100W version just doesn't cut it for me. It's not far enough better than the XXX that I want to convince me to spend the extra.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by JoePerry4life
I don't think I'd buy one since the price raise, howver they do sound nice.

WTF is up with the price jump, anyway? In stores they still seem to be a lot less expensive, but the mail order price is nuts.
Quote by jpnyc
WTF is up with the price jump, anyway? In stores they still seem to be a lot less expensive, but the mail order price is nuts.
Blackstar introduced the HT-5 at $299 as a way of getting their name out there. For $299 the HT-5 was king of it's class and that did great things for Blackstar's rep.

I'd imagine that to sell it at $299 their profit-margin would be razor thin. Increasing the price has probably allowed them to hire more staff and/or order more units from their manufacturer.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Last edited by ch0 at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by ch0
Blackstar introduced the HT-5 at $299 as a way of getting their name out there. For $299 the HT-5 was king of it's class and that did great things for Blackstar's rep.

I'd imagine that to sell it at $299 their profit-margin would be razor thin. Increasing the price has probably allowed them to hire more staff and/or order more units from their manufacturer.

Could also be a supply and demand thing. Now that they're name is out there, and the HT-5 is in demand, they can bring the price up on the supply and demand principle.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by jean_genie
Looky loo, we got ourselves a Rachael Ray here.

Say the whole word. Words like 'spesh' and 'delish' make you sound like your parents were related.

die
1979 YEAR OF THE HURRICANE BABY!
GSP Rush

GEAR (What I am currently using)
Guitar
Dimebag Darrell Signature ML
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
the price raise is probably down to the fact that the original design was for a european transformer and the price of the us transformer is more and this is probably the main reason is that they are made in asia and it is mega hard to ship out of there nowfor a shipmant you have to wait about 3 months as cargo companies are no longer shipping whilst they're not half full so once they can fill a ship or plane then they'll ship
blackstar knows what the people want. cheap, good sounding, versitile low wattage practice amps. big, versitile sounding, versitile wattage cost effective professional grade amps. their sound isnt really better than the guy next to them but they are all about having the right features at the right price to please anybody.
Best. Pedals. Ever.

Never tried the HT-5 but apparently it's the best cheap amp on the market.

The artisan series is pretty boutique as well.
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Jan 4, 2010,
the series one 200 head = awesome
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Does this thing take pedals well on the clean channel?

Also, does the 10" speaker handle metal alright or would I better off buying a 12" cab?
I loved the HT-5 in a 2x12 cab. Its sounds great. I got a HT-Dual pedal for $200 at my local GC. It sounds INCREDIBLE thru my roland jazz chorus!
Quote by ch0
As for the Series One amps. Whatever with those. $1700USD for the 100W version just doesn't cut it for me. It's not far enough better than the XXX that I want to convince me to spend the extra.

For the Series One:
The pricing is probably a location-based problem. I mean, a 3120 around here costs 1500€, the Series One 100 costs 1350€, is more versatile and has the DPR which makes it useful in any kind of playing situation.
And also I'm not a big fan of the XXX/3120's "raspy" kind of sound.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I feel that will happen the same with the jet city 20, the 2010 will be the year of jet city like the 2009 was the year of the blackstar so expect a price raise.
Quote by JesusCrisp
For the Series One:
The pricing is probably a location-based problem. I mean, a 3120 around here costs 1500€, the Series One 100 costs 1350€, is more versatile and has the DPR which makes it useful in any kind of playing situation.
And also I'm not a big fan of the XXX/3120's "raspy" kind of sound.
Ok, I don't care if it's a 'location-based problem.' I live here, this is where I have to buy my amplifiers. What they cost here is what I'm going to use to asses their value.

The DPR? Are you kidding? 10 watts out of a tube amp is still going to piss off your neighbors. Any venue outside your bedroom won't benefit at all. Frankly that's one technology that could have not bothered with which probably would have resulted in the amps being less expensive; which would have given me less to gripe about. Hell, I might have actually bought one then...

As far as you 'not being a fan' of the XXX... Well I'm not a fan of the Series One's features and it's generic tone. Sure, it's versatile, but (and I've argued this point to defend Blackstar in the past) the ISF doesn't go Mesa--------Marshall. It goes, Generic USA-kinda tone-------Generic UK-kinda tone. I like that in the HT-5, where being able to mix it up keeps practicing fun. In a gigging amp though, I'd prefer something that has it's own sound. In steps my XXX and out steps the Blackstar. Don't even get me started on how annoying it is to see a shared EQ on such an expensive amp...
Quote by Marty Friedman