So, I bought my Marshall DSL401 second hand about a year ago. A couple weeks ago, when I tried to turn my amp on, the power tubes started up but the preamp tubes did not. The problem was solved by restarting the amp. Ever since then it has gotten harder and harder to persuade the tubes to light up. It doesn't happen EVERY time I turn the amp on, but it happens quite often.

Anyone know what the culprit could be?

P.S. I'm using four Ei 12ax7 tubes.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Tubes don't need to light up to work properly. If the amp sounds fine and works fine, the only thing to do would be to get new preamp tubes for when yours eventually die.
Yes that's the more important question. Does your amp still sound the same even though the preamp tubes don't light up?
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by Roc8995
Tubes don't need to light up to work properly. If the amp sounds fine and works fine, the only thing to do would be to get new preamp tubes for when yours eventually die.

Sorry I forgot to point that out. I don't get any sound except for a hiss if I turn up the master volume really high.

It's like there is no current going to the tubes at all.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by Roc8995
Ok, that means there's a problem. Start with a new set of preamp tubes.

Ok. I have four brand new Tung-Sol tubes sitting on my dresser that I haven't put in yet. I'll see if they work.
Quote by MakinLattes