Poll: Which sense would you lose?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which sense would you lose?
Sight
10 3%
Hearing
4 1%
Touch
13 3%
Smell
226 58%
Taste
112 29%
Humor (lolololol I am middle-aged and make corny jokes... no offense Don)
23 6%
Voters: 388.
Page 1 of 3
Let's say you woke up one morning and had lost one of your senses. What would you prefer losing?

I personally would lose my sense of sight. I know that sounds crazy since so much of perception is based on sight, but I think losing any of the other senses would greatly reduce my quality of life. It wouldn't be as safe to be without sight but the thought of missing out on touch, taste, smell, and hearing would be so unsatisfying. The things that make me the happiest are often based around those things; there are also more developments available to help those who are blind, such as guide dogs and modified tools and supplies and braile.

NOTE - Realize that if you lose your sense of smell, your sense of taste is greatly impaired.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Last edited by vintage x metal at Jan 3, 2010,
Taste. Most of it comes from your nose anyways. Plus you'd be able to scarf down healthy foods that taste like the underside of an old geezer's foot.
В словах есть что-то неприличное.
Personally, I think I would lose my sense of smell. I feel like it's the sense that's the least important to me.

On a side note, my brother fell from a window in August and still doesn't have his senses of smell or taste. I can't imagine what that'd be like.
SAVE THE JAZZ

"Remember, there are two kinds of people in the world:
People who finish things, and"
smell
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Smell probably, I think then I could still live a relatively normal life.
Quote by Zaphikh
Taste. Most of it comes from your nose anyways.

This.

Plus, it'd be easier to stay thin
Check out my band Disturbed
I would have to say smell. I could do without having to smell the bad things in life.
Sail upon the open skies
DEFINITELY smell. I naturally lose my smell every time I get a cold, and its not like it affects my quality of life or anything. It'd be kind of nice actually. public bathrooms wouldn't be so horrific.
Where is the "common" option. I never see any body use that one.

I should have read the poll first. Shakes fist. Get off my lawn!!!!!!!!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Last edited by Jackal58 at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by Jackal58

Budum pish!

Smell for me. I'm too sensitive to bad smells as it is and am a picky eater. It's in my way dammit

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Jackal58

/kneeslap
В словах есть что-то неприличное.
Quote by Jackal58

Oooh, maybe I should've used that instead of humor
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Taste. It would suck, but most of my life would be unaffected. And smell would screw up taste really badly anyway.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Touch. It seems the obvious one

that would mean all feeling PERIOD. even the kind that prevent you from... dying. eg: Pain. I read a story about a little girl who has no ability to feel pain, and she has walked around on shattered bones, bit through her tongue, etc. thats probably the worst one.

also sex would be pointless and not fun. Touch seems like the absolute worst one to lose.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jan 3, 2010,
I put smell, but I actually think taste now. I wouldn't have to worry about getting fat, because unhealthy food won't be appealing to me.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Surely if you lose your sense of touch, sex would be shit? Plus, it'd be dangerous if you weren't able to feel pain
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Taste for me.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by add_g
smell. i can barely smell anything anyway

This, I got really sick a while back and although my sense of smell has returned I can barley smell anything unless it,s really strong.
Rofl?

Lol Cross. The Power of LOL Compels you!
Taste for me.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
I put taste because it is expendable.
Gear:
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom 24
Marshall MG30DFX
ISP Noise Decimator
Need a new amp. Any ideas? PM me

Quote by Kensai
Either you got the wrong thread or the gays in your state are very well hung.

Definitely smell. You could go the rest of your like without smell and be pretty much the same as you are now. It'd bascially be like you are stuffed-up and cant smell anything which happens from time to time. Sight, Touch and Hearing are ones you would never ever want to lose. Taste isnt that important, but I would definitely miss the taste of some foods. I think that is one you would not really think was important until you lose it. It reminds me of the movie The Matrix, when Cipher betrays everyone and him and agent Smith are talking while having a steak, and he is talking about he knows it is just receptors in his brain making him believe that it has a taste, but he wouldnt trade it for the world.
Sight, I have even fantasized of taking my eyes out. Lol.

I think that if i would be blind i could be all day playing music. And make even better music as my potencial of my "Hearing" would increase. And i wouldn't have to worry about a lot of things you have to when you can see.

Yeah, I'm crazy and working on it
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
I'm going to have to go with touch.
I could probably go about my life without it, though it would be trippy as hell to pick things up.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
smell seeing as my sense of smell is already a lot worse than every one else i know.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

In addition to all the sex-related responses this has gotten(Way to go, Pit), remember you'd also be unable to feel hot or cold, which is really dangerous and potentially life-threatening.

I voted smell, by the way.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

It would actually be really dangerous. Plus, sex would be totally meaningless.

EDIT: That was already pointed out plenty of times. My choice would most likely be smell, but taste is a close runner-up.
Last edited by DeusExMachina90 at Jan 3, 2010,
Taste, easily.

Hearing is an obvious no, and I'd like to keep my sight, it's rather handy. Touch would make it damn near impossible to do much of anything (have you ever tried walking when one of your legs is asleep to the point where you don't even feel your own weight on it? Not put that on your whole body), and I'm a rather physically affectionate person, so it's important to me in that way. Then I'm left with taste and smell, and I think there's a lot more opportunity for smell to bring pleasure then taste.
Page 1 of 3