i'm buying a new guitar and i really want an ibanez s series with a tremelo and 24 frets preferably...please help! what are some other great guitars in this price range?????
Wait until the 2010 models come out, all the S series will have 24 frets. If you can find an S Prestige for that price, that'll have it as well.

I would also check out some Jackson Dinky's.
Quote by potatohead_33
Wait until the 2010 models come out, all the S series will have 24 frets. If you can find an S Prestige for that price, that'll have it as well.

I would also check out some Jackson Dinky's.

really? that will be sweet
The S520ex (I think that's the model name) is a wonderful piece. I've got an Ibanez Xpt700, and it's got great features for the price, it's pretty killer in both sound and feel. Not for you if you're not into extreme shapes, though.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by DDOW
really? that will be sweet

Yes, all S series are now 24 frets. They'll be revealed at NAMM but over at Jemsite there is a huge thread on leaked 2010 Ibanez's.
cool thanks. so when i can't afford one of those new s series, which ibanez should i buy? i know the rg series is pretty cheap but there's just sooooo many. i want something with a thin neck and a good trem system!
Quote by JustinSyn
cool thanks. so when i can't afford one of those new s series, which ibanez should i buy? i know the rg series is pretty cheap but there's just sooooo many. i want something with a thin neck and a good trem system!

Pretty much all ibanez rgs have the same neck (from what i recall) except for the prestiges, which have a thinner neck.

You might want to get something besides an Edge III, because there's a lot of hate around the forums and also they arn't made from top notch materials.
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
The trem on the S is much better than the trem on the low/mid level RG's. I would suggest waiting a few months and saving more for the S series. I like the RG's myself but if you want a trem and can't pay $700+, the 24 fret S series wins.
I play a fixed bridge RG so I love having a thin neck and 24 frets at a 25.5" scale. What people have said about the trem models are true. I would definitely choose the S series over the RG if I wanted a trem no matter if it had 24 frets or not. It is a proven thing about the ball bearing z trem being better. Megadeaths new guitarists said in an interview I just watched that he switched to the S series from a regular RG because of the trem alone. That should tell you something right there!
Quote by Supermansdead81
I play a fixed bridge RG so I love having a thin neck and 24 frets at a 25.5" scale. What people have said about the trem models are true. I would definitely choose the S series over the RG if I wanted a trem no matter if it had 24 frets or not. It is a proven thing about the ball bearing z trem being better. Megadeaths new guitarists said in an interview I just watched that he switched to the S series from a regular RG because of the trem alone. That should tell you something right there!

you, sir, are amazing. thank you i love md
Quote by JustinSyn
you, sir, are amazing. thank you i love md

Yeah that new catalog should really clear things up for you because it did for me. They have a few new lines coming out and they really expanded a lot of the other model lines. Ibanez is really doing better this year by looking at the 2010 models coming. It made me decide to wait for a little while to get my next axe which will be either another RG or a RGA. Good luck and wait for 24 frets my friend!

Edit: Oh yeah....Make sure to look and go with the ZR Trem, which the S series comes with, if you want a tremelo modeled Ibanez! Regular RG's have an edge pro trem while some of the other models have the zero pro in the upper price range I believe. The Megadeath guitarist hit the nail on the head with going with the S series just because of that ZR trem being better.
Last edited by Supermansdead81 at Jan 4, 2010,
He is now using an RGA body, with the ZR trem. He had a couple LACS guitars built. BTW his name is Chris Broderick, and he rules at all aspects of life.
Quote by mexican_shred
Used Rg 5xx and above

Yeah I would go RG at the $700 price point for new guitar because a prestige RG (MIJ) will be significantly better in quality than a standard new S (MII). You can however also find plenty of great used MIJ S's well under $700.
The best Ibanez for around $700 is actually a Parker. Play one and see how your opinion changes.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Ibanez S series is a good choice, they are pretty much the only guitars i use anymore, i have spent lots of money and time customizing both my guitars to my tastes and i couldn't be happier. I love them so much i recently bought an S670FM which is currently being setup, so now i own two, and a third S will definitely be added to the collection some point in the future.

They are thin, comfortable guitars that are surprisingly resonant, you wont get Les Paul levels of resonance out of them but my S Series to my ears sounds better than the other guitarist in my bands £1000 Gibson SG.

The trem is wonderful, you can literally do anything to it and it will stay in tune, and its so smooth to use it feels just like an extension of your own body, there really is no resistance.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
To be honest with you... Just save up more money. I've bought 2 Ibanez guitars for around 650, another about 800. I haven't been completely satisfied with either of them. Get a prestige Ibanez and you'll never have to buy another guitar.
Quote by Bubbles516
To be honest with you... Just save up more money. I've bought 2 Ibanez guitars for around 650, another about 800. I haven't been completely satisfied with either of them. Get a prestige Ibanez and you'll never have to buy another guitar.

Not true.
I bought one prestige and now I own 3 of them and looking to grab another.
Quote by Slackboy72
Not true.
I bought one prestige and now I own 3 of them and looking to grab another.

Haha, I bought one and it's really hard to get anything else. I'm always tempted to look at other things, but I always come back to Ibanez Prestige. That Wizard Prestige neck feels like sex.