I'm just wondering what the best distortion pedal is. My amp is an all tubed b52 halfstack if that matters

The "best distortion" pedal is nearly entirely subjective.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
What B-52 model do you have?
What's your budget?
What sounds are you looking for? (metal I'm guessing)
I'll suggest the barber dirty bomb.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Quote by Gnr55
I have an AT-100, and metal yes
Your AT-100 should easily do metal. What don't you like about your sound?
Quote by blackborrego
the metal zone dude, seriously that is the BR00TALZ OLOLOLOOL !
Seriously go back to The Pit.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Seriously go back to The Pit.

well spoken thar.

More specifically TS, you lookin for more/better gain than what your amp can do or are you looking for a boost?
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
I just got a new guitar and it dont have enought distortion sound, all my other do, but this one dont, its a les paul ultra II and I dont know if its cause the hollow body insides or what but it dont have as much as my les paul custom, or my washburn. I even but a Seymour Duncan JB model in the neck, and its still not enough
Quote by Gnr55
I just got a new guitar and it dont have enought distortion sound, all my other do, but this one dont, its a les paul ultra II and I dont know if its cause the hollow body insides or what but it dont have as much as my les paul custom, or my washburn. I even but a Seymour Duncan JB model in the neck, and its still not enough
Invest in an overdrive pedal instead of a dist. pedal too boost the amp to get more gain/tighten up the sound. A Digitech Bad Monkey is a good overdrive, and is cheap.

And you have a JB in the neck? It could be a typo, but it should be in the bridge.
It is a typo, thats my fault its in the bridge. Ill check into an overdrive pedal, I used to have a zakk wylde overdrive years ago but traded it. Do you have any experiance with the B-52a and getting the tone right on them?
I have an ATX-100 (the new model of the AT-100) and can't see ever needing a distortion pedal unless I suddenly become a black metal musician. Just use gain 2 and mess with the mid cut, and keep resonance all the way up. Adjust the frequencies to your liking. The AT is a great metal amp.
Last edited by drewfromutah at Jan 3, 2010,
I always used gain 1 for some reason, what the diferance between one and two?
Quote by Gnr55
It is a typo, thats my fault its in the bridge. Ill check into an overdrive pedal, I used to have a zakk wylde overdrive years ago but traded it. Do you have any experiance with the B-52a and getting the tone right on them?
I have no experience at all with B-52's, sorry.

I just know from Youtube videos that they can get extremely heavy.
Quote by Gnr55
I always used gain 1 for some reason, what the diferance between one and two?

Gain 2 is just much heavier and is made for metal rhythm. Put both gain channels at the same setting and volume and switch between them and you'll see.
Last edited by drewfromutah at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
I have no experience at all with B-52's, sorry.

I just know from Youtube videos that they can get extremely heavy.

Ok well thanks alot dude, youve been a great help. Im gonna check into the overdrive pedal
Quote by drewfromutah
Gain 2 is just much heavier and is made for metal rhythm. Put both gain channels at the same setting and volume and switch between them and you'll see.

Ok thanks dude, any other secrets to the B-52, also what do u have it set on the back, I have it set on tube A, but their is Tube A, Tube AB, and solid state
Well i found out the problem and its all stupidity for not knowing my instrument. Because of the added acoustic pickup on the Ultra II, it only has a master tone knob, and not two like the normal les pauls, so i had the tone for what i thought was only the neck pickup turned all the way down, so i watch a video and rind out its for both pickups, now my crappy sound problem is solved, but i would still like to know the best set up for my B-52
i liked the blackstar distx. its got a 12ax7 preamp tube and sounds a lot better than any digital pedal. also they are on sale at GC for around $80 right now
Quote by Gnr55
Ok thanks dude, any other secrets to the B-52, also what do u have it set on the back, I have it set on tube A, but their is Tube A, Tube AB, and solid state

The newer ATX model doesn't have that option, but A/B would probably have the most modern tone without being too harsh.
Ok, well i hear people talking about a pre amp, ive heard that term so much since i began playing and i honestly dont know what it is or what it does, so if you could tell me that would be great
Preamp, is what comes before the power, basically the gain control, bass mid trelbe etc is the preamp controls, you shape your tone with the preamp before it goes to the power amps ection. Nobody can tell you the best setup, its all preference. Start with everything at noon and tweak from there.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I too would recommend a boost/OD pedal, but if you really want a good distortion pedal for hard rock/metal, i would recommend the Radial Hot British. I use one through my twin reverb, and it can get some pretty mean metal tones. When I have my maxon od-808 acting as a boost, the twin becomes a super tight heavy metal monster. But since your amp already has a gain/distortion/lead/w/e channel, you'd probably be better off getting a boost