Page 1 of 2

I read this article and it said you can use a sock to clean your guitar's body
Is that a safe thing to do? Or will it ruin the guitar's body / finish?
Of course it's safe.
Unless you've got sand or staples in your socks.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
If you're just doing so on the smooth surfaces of the body and you keep it away from things like the bridge, it'll be fine. Odd, but fine.

Don't use it on the neck though, (especially near the frets, nut or tuners), don't use it on the strings and don't use it on the bridge (or any other similar parts of the guitar, such as the control panels of a Fender Jaguar or a locking input jack). For these areas, you shouldn't use anything but an inkless microfibre cloth.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by danohat
Sock yes. Jizm catcher, no.

I would give you a lol stack, but you would quote it

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
As long as it is made of cotton, you are OK. If it is made of a synthetic, you might end up putting tiny, swirling scratches in the finish of your guitar.
Quote by FatalGear41
As long as it is made of cotton, you are OK. If it is made of a synthetic, you might end up putting tiny, swirling scratches in the finish of your guitar.

like i did
Make sure whatever you clean your guitar with is soft and does not leave tiny scratches on the surface of the finish. I did that to my first guitar and man was it hurt to look at for a while.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

try a swiffer head
or you could buy some Enrie Ball guitar polishing wipes that will give it a clean ,streak free shine
You can get guitar cleaning cloths for under $10.

Do that.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
You can get guitar cleaning cloths for under $10.

Do that.

why spend money for no reason?
Buy a microfiber cloth and you'll never look back. Fantastic for cleaing all sorts of things, electronics, glass.... you name. Hell you dont even need to wet them and it easily shines things up and gets rid of water spots.

Basically the same thing as a "lens cleaning cloth," as recommended by brutalmania.
Quote by brutalmania
why spend money for no reason?

why waste a perfectly good sock for no reason?
Questions like this make me wonder if UGers ever actually play guitar in the real world. God forbid a sock put swirls in your finish!
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Use common sense. If you just wore those socks to the beach, don't use them.

I personally would avoid it. All it takes is one rogue sand particle to put a scratch on your guitar. But if they're clean, go for it.
Quote by Even Bigger D
Questions like this make me wonder if UGers ever actually play guitar in the real world. God forbid a sock put swirls in your finish!

yeah, we're all a bunch of idiots.
i can't be bothered using a polishing rag or 100% cotton tee.

personally, i like to use a bag of broken glass to polish my guitar. yeah it marks it up, but this is the real world. might as well tell the guitar to get used to it. show it who's boss.

then when i'm done i polish my car with rocks and sticks.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
yeah, we're all a bunch of idiots.
i can't be bothered using a polishing rag or 100% cotton tee.

personally, i like to use a bag of broken glass to polish my guitar. yeah it marks it up, but this is the real world. might as well tell the guitar to get used to it. show it who's boss.

then when i'm done i polish my car with rocks and sticks.

I hate to think how some of you would react when someone pushes a mic stand into your guitar, or a drunk spills beer on it or something.

Of course, I guess if you're rocking the basement you're pretty safe from all that. Polishing clothes at the ready
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Quote by Even Bigger D
I hate to think how some of you would react when someone pushes a mic stand into your guitar, or a drunk spills beer on it or something.

Of course, I guess if you're rocking the basement you're pretty safe from all that. Polishing clothes at the ready

i'd love to see what would happen if you pushed a mic stand or spilled a beer on some of the gear my mates use.

they'll even find a nice place to store your polishing cloth for you.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
i'd love to see what would happen if you pushed a mic stand or spilled a beer on some of the gear my mates use.

they'll even find a nice place to store your polishing cloth for you.

Wow, we've even found a guy on the internet who has tough friends. Good for you man
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Quote by Even Bigger D
Wow, we've even found a guy on the internet who has tough friends. Good for you man

yeah ok, man. you really have little to no clue about things.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Shes a girl. In case no ones figured it out.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
If you do end up using the sock, check for ants first.
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
Quote by OctoberWind
Shes a girl. In case no ones figured it out.

When someone claims they are a "hot chick" and "teh sexy" on the internet, there's about a 99% chance it's actually a fat guy in a basement. Just saying
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Quote by Even Bigger D

I agree, I'm not going to go out and buy a specially designed rag to clean my guitar with.

I just use pledge and a cotton rag, does a better job than a "mi-cro-fi-ber" rag.
Quote by Even Bigger D
When someone claims they are a "hot chick" and "teh sexy" on the internet, there's about a 99% chance it's actually a fat guy in a basement. Just saying

esp considering theres not a single photo of her/him

to the guy asking the question...just shell out a bit of cash and buy a cleaning cloth
their not expensive and you wont need to stay asking people if your sock and clean your guitar

and to that crazy chick/loser fat guy in his basement...who the helll would use a bag of broken glass to polish their guitar...your guitar is a guitar, not a man...you dont need to show it who's boss
Quote by ethan_hanus
I agree, I'm not going to go out and buy a specially designed rag to clean my guitar with.

I just use pledge and a cotton rag, does a better job than a "mi-cro-fi-ber" rag.

pledge contains silicone. not a good idea to introduce that to your guitar.

and i'm sure you have a safe cotton rag at home, no?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by '93
esp considering theres not a single photo of her/him

and to that crazy chick/loser fat guy in his basement...who the helll would use a bag of broken glass to polish their guitar...your guitar is a guitar, not a man...you dont need to show it who's boss

sarcasm:
A form of humor that is marked by mocking with irony, sometimes conveyed in speech with vocal over-emphasis. Saying something that is opposite of what is intended to be meant.

because i think you need this definition.

also, glad you finally figured out my secret. please don't tell the others.

Quote by Even Bigger D

any guy that claims to be bigger D, usually has a tiny peepee.

just saying

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by jj1565
pledge contains silicone. not a good idea to introduce that to your guitar.

and i'm sure you have a safe cotton rag at home, no?

I do believe they were being sarcastic Jen.

As for using a sock go for it, but what a microfiber cloth costs like $5-10, how much did you guitar cost? 10 fold? 15 fold? 5 fold? Seriously I don't get why people just don't buy a microfiber cloth, some guitar polish, and even lemon oil when they buy their first guitar. All of that together costs no more then 50 bucks and if you are good enough you could probably get it chucked in for free and the best part of it is that shit lasts you ****ing ages. Seriously I've got like 8 different bottles of guitar related cleaning stuff that set me back no more then then 5% of what I paid for my Caparison.

And I've seen pics of Jenny...it's a robot.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
I do believe they were being sarcastic Jen.

And I've seen pics of Jenny...it's a robot.

phil his attempt at humor was neither ironic nor satirical in nature.

plus, it's hard to tell, he seems pretty dumb to me, but if you say so.

does not compute.

also,
i didn't think guitar cloths even cost that much. sounds like your local prices, eh.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Page 1 of 2