I've been wondering about the Carvin Legacy. How versatile is it? I play classic rock (Zeppelin, Queen) blues (BB King) Intsrumental/shred (Joe Satriani, Steve Vai). I know its Vai's signature amp, but does it mainly get his tone, or can you get many more? Can I get from a Zeppelin crunch to a Queen bright to a bluesy Hendrix to Satch's lead/clean tones?
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Last edited by guitarlord28 at Jan 3, 2010,
How exactly do the X100B and the Legacy compare?
The Legacy was designed in conjunction with Steve Vai to be his idea of the perfect guitar amp. The X100B was designed to be more of a Jack-of-all-trades amp; more along the lines of a Marshall (the old Carvin ads used to compare it to the Marshall). The Legacy has more preamp tubes and more gain than the X100B. Personally, I think it is a better amp than the X100B, but you might decide otherwise. They're both very good.
How are the cleansn the X100B? The lead channel?
The cleans on the X100B are good, but I think the cleans on the Legacy are better. The Legacy definitely has more low end. The lead channel of the X100B has a great crunch tone, but it can't do the sizzling leads that the Legacy can do. The X100B is a fine amp for classic rock tones. The Legacy can do the classic rock tones and more modern, high-gain stuff as well. The difference in price between the two makes the Legacy even more of a bargain, as it isn't much more than the X100B.
How good is the X100B at getting Steve Vai and Joe Satriani sounds?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs