So, today I picked up an Ibanez TS9 to boost my Marshall. It would sound pretty much perfect if it wasn't for one problem. Whenever I have the pedal plugged in, no matter if it's on or not, I get really bad interference from friggin AM radio. I mean I'm hearing a gospel station and some weird Spanish station at the same time. Without pedals I hear a little noise, but no more than to be expected from a tube amp. I already decided a noise gate would probably solve that.

What I'm thinking is the cable I'm running from the TS9 to the amp is screwed up, because it's all rusty on one end, and it cuts out sometimes. But I'm not sure. So a new cable might be a good idea too.

So yeah, I'm probably gonna pick up a noise gate. I was considering the ISP Decimator, unless there's anything that might be better, or at least as good but for less money?
I guarantee it's the cable. Happened to me with a patch cable. Replaced the cable and BAM it was gone.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Well, I tried another cable, but I had the same problem. But this cable I think is messed up too, because it's got the same green tarnish on one end that the other one does. They belong to my dad, he won't admit it but he doesn't take that great care of his gear...
that happens sometimes even when all your gear is in perfect shape, but if that cable is cutting out I'd definitely replace it
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I was gonna get a new cable anyway since those aren't even mine, I was just worried that there might be something wrong with the amp. Because like I said, the sound I get after boosting it with the TS9 is more or less the exact sound I want. Well, if the noise wasn't there.

Maybe it has something to do with the room the amp is in? I have it right next to a window...
get new cables that are shielded better
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by Xeus
i want a cable like that, make my friends think they are going crazy

Trade him a guarenteed good cable, and maybe a noise gate would help let me see what i can do
I don't read, I look at words and absorb their meanings.
If the pit was a group of people hangin out we would be possibly the most awsome group of people to be known to mankind.........I think it would be on the news
It can also be your amp btw i had a Squier SP-10 that did the same thing but very faintly, It can also be a bad ground in your guitar, And one guy said: I've had this problem with phono amps an easy solution is to wire a 10pf cap across the input to ground. What this does is to run all radio frequencies to ground at the input.
If the pit was a group of people hangin out we would be possibly the most awsome group of people to be known to mankind.........I think it would be on the news
Okay, now I just tried just running it straight from my guitar to the amp, and the same thing was happening... and the cable was a brand new Monster, I spent like $40 on it...
Can be the pickups on the guitar, or like i said the guitar might have a bad ground
Quote by CaptDin
I tried it with another guitar... same problem.

Your amp could be the problem maybe there is a loose wire in it that is causing it to act as an antenna like i said my SP-10 did that and it was a major POS, How old is your marshall
Quote by CaptDin
It's an old 87 JCM 800.

Try a diff amp and if thats the problem get a tech to make sure everything is good, And make sure your input on the amp is good and secure to the faceplate (ya know jic)
And if that doesnt work (this is sketchy) but move it around the room and place it against the wall at different angles etc.
A lot of amps pick up radio occasionally... whether it be from a pedal, a wire, bad shielding, bad grounding, or just the room or outlet you're plugged into. Try plugging in and playing in a different room, see if that fixes it.

I think I figured it out! I moved it to the opposite corner of my room (switched places with a bookcase) and the radio noise is totally gone. It's as far away from the window as possible, maybe that's what solved it. There's still some hiss, but I guess a noise gate would take care of that, right?
I'm sorry this is hilarious !!! XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

That would be the sickest thing ever to happen in a gig :P:P:P
Slayer gets ready to play a major gig... *bZTTSTMM* hola señoritas e senõres! Es tiempo para la dança de la cucaracha! arriba!
* LA CUCARACHA, LA CUCARACHAAAA, no se puede caminar! * Or worse. imagine if Slayer was playing and got interference with a christian religious radio? * Love the lord as the lord loves us all =) AMEN*

That would be awesome!

Well anyway i'd see the conections to that amp, the place in which its in etc. Try it on diffrent spots to see if its the cable , amp or whatever it is.
Quote by NateCordova
I'm sorry this is hilarious !!! XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

That would be the sickest thing ever to happen in a gig :P:P:P
Slayer gets ready to play a major gig... *bZTTSTMM* hola señoritas e senõres! Es tiempo para la dança de la cucaracha! arriba!
* LA CUCARACHA, LA CUCARACHAAAA, no se puede caminar! * Or worse. imagine if Slayer was playing and got interference with a christian religious radio? * Love the lord as the lord loves us all =) AMEN*

That would be awesome!

Well anyway i'd see the conections to that amp, the place in which its in etc. Try it on diffrent spots to see if its the cable , amp or whatever it is.

That is exactly what I was afraid of. But it looks like I have the problem solved for now. But I may have to figure out a more permanent solution in case I ever play an outdoor gig or something.
Quote by denied
Are you talking about amp hum or noise when you stop playing?

Amps/guitars/cables pick up radio from time to time. The simplest thing to try is just moving the amp, looked like that worked in your case.

When the cable is at fault, it is usually due to bad shielding rather than rust.

When I stop playing, there's a slight hissing sound. But it goes away when I turn down the volume on my guitar.
Quote by Ghast
I guarantee it's the cable. Happened to me with a patch cable. Replaced the cable and BAM it was gone.

It's the cable. My Monster Rock Cable broke at a gig, and I was forced to use an unshielded cable I had lying around mainly used as a pedal switcher and it would have all sorts of sounds and shit coming out of the amp.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
It's the cable. My Monster Rock Cable broke at a gig, and I was forced to use an unshielded cable I had lying around mainly used as a pedal switcher and it would have all sorts of sounds and shit coming out of the amp.

I'm actually pretty sure the cables are okay. They're shielded and all that good stuff.
What's hilarious is I picked up a gospel station with my ts9 and Windsor when I ran my head with my neighbors Marshall 4x12 cab bu it doesn't do it with my new bugera. It didn't always do it with the Marshall either. Atleast not during the day but at night was a different story. It was pretty funny to be playing some stoner metal stuff then stop and hear some guy preaching Jesus
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
I just noticed my cab's Jack is loose. Perhaps this is the culprit... Of course it's probably fine since none of the wires are loose, but still...
A ISP Decimator would be good to get rid of all the noise when you're playing but it depends if you have alot of noise.

This situation reminds me of Spinal Tap when they're playing on stage and the guitarist picks up a radio signal on his wireless system. So funny...

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm