Hi everyone!

I've been playing guitar for about 3 years. I've been playing with a Cort KX1Q Black Cherry with EMG-HZ pickups in a Roland Microcube. Lately, I don't know if its just me but i've been frustrated with the sounds i've been getting through the cube. I just cant seem to to be satisfied with the tones. I've been playing with my settings from Brit-Combo to R-fier and honestly I don't like the sounds I'm making. I've beginning to wonder the reason is because only my one tone dial. =/ I've been playing around my amp settings for hours and i seriously cant seem to get a ''good'' tone.

I love playing guitar and lately i just been playing my electric unplugged because i actually think it sounds better than the either muddy or toneless sounds I'm getting.

I've been looking for something to replace my amp. It was my first amp, i bought it for its portability and the fact it has beginner effects. I play just about anything, any style of music that I find nice to listen. Lately i've been practicing I'm Alright and Canon Rock by JerryC.

After looking around, with my budget of around 300. I became interested in multi-effects pedals like zoom and Pod's. The Pod-XT in particular caught my eye because well JerryC uses it and well, even if i know i cant get his EXACT tone, anything i thought is better than what i have now =/.

I'm going to try it sometime in the store but please suggestions/feedback/ information would be appreciated.

Would a multi-effects pedal solve my tone problem? or is my hearing messed up thinking the tones i'm creating is garbage >.<.

Thnx in advance!
Last edited by Jazhangetsu at Jan 3, 2010,
Get a new amp, those microcubes are borderline useless. Buying something as expensive as the POD-XT and running it through that microcube would be an incredible waste of money. Just go buy a new amp. If you go used 300$ would getting you something better than buying brand new as well.
What may I ask you recommend? Cuz i was thinking of using the POD-XT through headphones only... =/. Thx for the reply.
You've got 300$ and your looking for a somewhat versatile amp? I would look into Peavey, or if you want one a bit more aggressive try an Ibanez, also being a first time amp buyer go out and play different ones so you know you'll like it before you buy it.

*Headphones only probably isn't a great idea. Or a good one even.
i know this will get me crucified, but the new MG's sound better at bedroom volume than the JVM's in my opinion, and yes, I know the old MG's were turds with marshall logo's on them, but TS, maybe you should give them a test. for used maybe a bugera 6260 or 6262 could be found cheap.
^^^Could try that as well, pretty much anything that's not that microcube, also I would stay away from anything with the words line-6 and/or spider attached to them.
are microcubes really that bad? O.O haha who'd guess >.>. So i'm not going crazy haha.
I'll give everything a test when i go in the store with my guitar. I'll try the pod through my amp in my store just for the heck of it.
i'm beginning to have second doubts of the word ''tone''.
Quote by Jazhangetsu
are microcubes really that bad? O.O haha who'd guess >.>. So i'm not going crazy haha.
I'll give everything a test when i go in the store with my guitar. I'll try the pod through my amp in my store just for the heck of it.
i'm beginning to have second doubts of the word ''tone''.

Yes. They are THAT bad.

But like you said, just try a bunch and find one you like.
Its funny. I got the amp because i thought it'd be a step better than those other practice amps like fender frontman etc. Effects were a bonus too.

I honestly have no idea to look for in tone. I thought the pod were known for their wide selections of tones plus they have effects too.
Black heart little giant maybe?
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
Hmmm what i'm truly wondering is if its just me. For the first time in a while i plugged back in my amp and played and some tones felt richer than b4. Strange. Of course again i'm not satisfied with the sounds enough that i will record them but yeah =/. Perhaps its my pickups or smth.