I am planning on buying a Mesa Boogie Mark V sometime soon and since I am going to be buying it blindly, I was wondering if I should get the MK V combo or head. I was convinced on getting the combo, but I have recently heard that it sounds somewhat sterile compared to the MK V head.

Can anyone confirm or deny this for me?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
well in all honesty it the speaker(s) may be different in the combo and thats the only thing thats changin the tone. but really unless you play in large 1000+ people shows i doubt you will need the 4 speakers, even then you prolly could just use the combo....the combo is definately smarter to buy, if anything you can work the amp more with less actual volume and it will sound better and lower volumes.....and if you find that the combo doesnt sound up to par for ya, check the speaker model and compare it to whats in the 4 speaker cab. and if they are different then change the speaker.....but its a Mark V....if you play it through a not quite amazing speaker, its still a freakin Mark V and will sound better than most every other amp in its gain classing
This is a G chord....i used to be in a cranberries tribute band.
I disagree that the combo is better in this case. If you've got a good cab, you will be just fine even at low volumes because the amp has 10w, 45w and full 90w modes. Not to mention it is cheaper than the combos. The combos are good but I've never liked the sound of stock mesa speakers.
Thanks a lot for the help guys.

Now it appears as though I have to options:

1. I could get the MK V head and a 212 cabinet (I don't have room for a 412)

2. I could get the Mark V Combo and then replace the speaker later on if I wanted.

At the moment I am leaning towards option 2 because it is the least expensive option, and because I will be getting whatever I choose from Sweetwater and I will have to pay sales tax on whatever I buy from them.

Which of these two options would you guys recommend?

Also if I do choose option 1 what cabinet would you recommend? I play everything from Nile-esque metal to Santana and I will need a cabinet that is as versatile as the MK V.

Sorry if this post seems a bit scatter-brained.
Last edited by G-man05 at Jan 3, 2010,
he is right about the volume thing i forgot it could do the whole different wattage deal......and i would say it comes down to if you want to have one really heavy piece...or 2 medium weighted pieces....comboes are rather hefty but it doesnt really matter too much....if you get the head though that makes it easier to switch to another cabinate later on if you have one available to you or something.....like where i practice at home and my band practices i have different cabinates and i take only the head back and forth which is a whole lot easier....
This is a G chord....i used to be in a cranberries tribute band.
I've also heard that the Mark combo sounds quite boxy in comparison to the head+cab.

Changing the speaker in the cab later on probably won't improve the tone much...you could always throw in an EVM-12L, but your combo would end up weighing a TON.

Is there somewhere that you could try out the combo? You may like it just the way it is versus the head and be satisfied at that.

If you go with the head, for a 212 cab, I'd recommend an old Mesa Halfback 212 or a Mesa Recto 212.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by Led Hed Lefty
he is right about the volume thing i forgot it could do the whole different wattage deal......and i would say it comes down to if you want to have one really heavy piece...or 2 medium weighted pieces....comboes are rather hefty but it doesnt really matter too much....if you get the head though that makes it easier to switch to another cabinate later on if you have one available to you or something.....like where i practice at home and my band practices i have different cabinates and i take only the head back and forth which is a whole lot easier....

Hmm... that is a good point, and it does somewhat future proof the amp for use later on.
I think I will get the Mark V head, but I am not certain of what cabinet I should get, does anyone have any recommendations for a good 212 or 412 cabinet for around $650 or less? As previously stated I play everything from Nile-esque metal to Santana and I need great cleans. In fewer words, I need a cabinet that is as versatile as the MK V.

^To - no.mop
Thank you for the recommendations and unfortunately there is no way I will be able to try out the MK V combo because there is only one place within 50 miles of where I live that is a Mesa Boogie dealer and they don't have any MK V's to put out because they are selling so fast and that is why I have turned to UG to help me with this dilemma.
$650 can get you a lot of cab.

I'd probably pick up a cheaper marshal 4x12, wire it to 2 x 2x12's, throw greenbacks in the 2 and some random speakers in the others.

:-)
Quote by FatalGear41
Mark V head and a 2x12 Roadster cabinet. Expensive but well worth it.

Does the 212 Roadster have removable casters?

Also does anyone have any opinions on the Orange PPC212-C?
I'm not sold on the mark v or the mark series in general. I had a mkiii and played a mark v head and a mark v combo and I felt it could not achieve a good metal rhythm tone. The mark III I had was better In all honesty.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
well i am getting the combo, in your guys opinion is it still an exceptional amp compared to other amps in OR above its price range ?
"This is my Mark V. There are many like it but this one is mine."

LTD MH-400
Ibanez AS73
"BUILDING MY OWN GUITAR NOW"
Yamaha FG365S II
Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head, with rectifier cab (2x12)
Vox Valvetronix AD100VT- XL
Its versatility is what makes it exceptional.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
but is the sound ?
"This is my Mark V. There are many like it but this one is mine."

LTD MH-400
Ibanez AS73
"BUILDING MY OWN GUITAR NOW"
Yamaha FG365S II
Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head, with rectifier cab (2x12)
Vox Valvetronix AD100VT- XL
Quote by Holy-Diver
I'm not sold on the mark v or the mark series in general. I had a mkiii and played a mark v head and a mark v combo and I felt it could not achieve a good metal rhythm tone. The mark III I had was better In all honesty.

My Mark IV was pretty secks for metal
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera