Page 1 of 2
Please.

I want something real, not some sort of fantasy futuristic dragon battle sci fi nonsense.

Something about a highschooler maybe?

It would also be nice if music was involved in some way.
Maybe the protagonist is in a band? Or maybe he just likes decent music. Doesn't really matter.

Thanks pit, I just want a decent read that will keep me interested.

Just step yourself outside, and look up at the stars above.

Hamlet. He was the drummer in a 60s blues band.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Erik_Aero
The Twilight books are pretty good.

This.

Quote by wizards?
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Catcher in the Rye
Crime and Punishment
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Those are a few suggestions on "real" books.

Why wasn't Tw1light on that list!!!? Your just jealous cuz you'll never get a boy like Edw4rd or J4cob!!!11
The playground of the world
Not a book, but its a short story. The Music of Erich Zann- H. P. Lovecraft. Theres a web site that has all of his stories, but Im too lazy to get it now.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
The Few- based on a real group of people

War and Peace

Dracula
Rofl?

Lol Cross. The Power of LOL Compels you!
What the hell is the point of reading fiction if it could pass as nonfiction if you didn't know otherwise? I've read The Catcher in the Rye and it is the biggest piece of shit I've ever read.
Fat Kid Rules The World is pretty good, and involves music.

The Catcher in The Rye wasn't incredible, in my opinion, but it was an interesting read.

Reading musicians biographies can always be cool; I've read Kurt Cobain's biography and Anthony Kiedis' autobiography, and both were good.
Quote by guitarnoobie
I've read The Catcher in the Rye and it is the biggest piece of shit I've ever read.

^You know I thought that after I read it for about a week until I really sat down and thought about it. Sure, Holden Caulfield is a whiny little shit who thinks he's better than everyone else, but the message I think J.D. Salinger was trying to convey is that Holden Caulfield is everyone. Everyone acts that way at some point, and we all have some sort of feeling of superiority over some group of people.

Not trying to start an argument or anything, I'm just giving you another way of looking at it.
I enjoyed The Book Thief, I don't remember who it's by but you could google it

It's a holocaust story but it's very different from all the others

plus, it's written from the perspective of death and that just sounds awesome xP
Blueford series?
BLUEGREEN

Quote by sashki
Jazz III. It's not my choice. It's the correct choice.
Quote by rockfan7

plus, it's written from the perspective of death and that just sounds awesome xP

Last book i read which inspired me to get back into reading after years of not.

Kicked SO MUCH ass.

Rant by Chuck Palahniuk. In short, it's about a kid who purposely gets bitten by animals to catch rabies and spread it around to as many people as he can, and there is also time travel.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quote by guitarnoobie
What the hell is the point of reading fiction if it could pass as nonfiction if you didn't know otherwise? I've read The Catcher in the Rye and it is the biggest piece of shit I've ever read.

This is my exact viewpoint I've just never been able to put it into words real well. I'd suggest the Dark Tower, the best fiction I've read. It's by Stephen King. My suggestion would be find an author you like, there is too much out there and too many preferences for us to tell you a good book. There are many biographies for famous musicians, try picking up one of a musician that you particularly enjoy. I've read Come As You Are, which is a biography of Nirvana and it's great.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by guitarnoobie

So... if a fictional novel doesn't have zombies, explosions, wizards, space battles and whatever the **** else, it isn't worth reading?
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
So... if a fictional novel doesn't have zombies, explosions, wizards, space battles and whatever the **** else, it isn't worth reading?

Duh?

I think someone said this but Anthony Kiedis's bio is pretty good. Also check Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (it's not a Nirvana bio, it's actually a novel) and Hammer of the Gods by Stephen Davis if you like Led Zep.
cat
Perks of being a wallflower looks decent. Anything funny? Lightheartedisher?

Quote by Ninja Vampirate

Well not those exactly, but I don't enjoy stuff that is realistic, I don't know why, but that's just my personal preference on books. I'm into really strange books. I mean there obviously is merit to realistic fiction, I just don't enjoy it as much.
Quote by Doctor Wu
Duh?

Quote by Doctor Wu
I want something real, not some sort of fantasy futuristic dragon battle sci fi nonsense.

Wut?

I know you want something 'real' but I'm just going to suggest the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy anyway, because it's awesome.
Quote by guitarnoobie

maybe these books can offer you insight on important themes? maybe fictioned reality can transmit a message concerning your own human condition? maybe you didnt like catcher in the tyr because your own lack of insight hasnt allowed you to grasp that there's more meaning to a book than that which it can be found in a dictionary
Quote by tayroar
Well not those exactly, but I don't enjoy stuff that is realistic, I don't know why, but that's just my personal preference on books. I'm into really strange books. I mean there obviously is merit to realistic fiction, I just don't enjoy it as much.

this would be the right way to put it so i wouldnt get mad
Last edited by kalnoky7 at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by guitarxo
I think someone said this but Anthony Kiedis's bio is pretty good. Also check Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (it's not a Nirvana bio, it's actually a novel) and Hammer of the Gods by Stephen Davis if you like Led Zep.

Holy shit yes! I totally forgot about that one. Plus it's by Stephen King's kid so you know it's going to be good.

And I can't believe no one's said A Clockwork Orange yet...
Quote by tayroar

That's fair enough, but the other guy said there was simply no point to it, not just that he didn't like it. I'm sure if you keep looking you'll come across something you like though, there's so much out there.
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Wut?

I know you want something 'real' but I'm just going to suggest the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy anyway, because it's awesome.

Kidding about the first one.

Thanks though.

TS, please change the colors of your sig.

or else.....
BLUEGREEN

Quote by sashki
Jazz III. It's not my choice. It's the correct choice.
Quote by Eddie4President
This.

Why wasn't Tw1light on that list!!!? Your just jealous cuz you'll never get a boy like Edw4rd or J4cob!!!11

*gets a shotgun*

I'll be needing this soon.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by kalnoky7
maybe these books can offer you insight on important themes? maybe fictioned reality can transmit a message concerning your own human condition? maybe you didnt like catcher in the tyr because your own lack of insight hasnt allowed you to grasp that there's more meaning to a book than that which it can be found in a dictionary

Why does everyone use Catcher in the Rye as such a great book? I understand its meaning and everything but The Great Gatsby was much better, and even better than that was Heart of Darkness.
On the Road - Jack Kerouac
Quote by tayroar
Why does everyone use Catcher in the Rye as such a great book? I understand its meaning and everything but The Great Gatsby was much better, and even better than that was Heart of Darkness.

i used it simply because he did. i liked it but i can understand if people don't like it so much. it was only because he said it was the biggest piece of sh*t he'd ever read
Last edited by kalnoky7 at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by Pretty. Odd.

I actually thought it was a pretty good read.
The Gear Sig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5TH Anniversary Limited Edition
Quote by rockfan7

I'm reading that now, it's by Markus Zusak.

Amazing author, and so far, amazing book.
I suppose I'd better suggest something you might be after... if you're looking for something 'real' then check out Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell. Intriguing stuff, if that's the sort of thing you meant. Also look at Road to Wigan Pier and Homage to Catalonia.
Page 1 of 2