I realize this isn't a drum forum, but I know many people are multi-instrumentalists, plus most of you have worked with drummers, and may have seen their solutions.

I bought a ride cymbal for my kit; a cheaper-Zildjian cymbal. For those of you who don't know, Zildjian's cheaper stuff doesn't generally uphold the companies good reputation, or at least, that's my opinion. The cymbal is bright as hell, and rings way too much. I've got it as tight as I possibly can on the stand, so does anybody know any way I could fix the tone a bit?
I've seen some people put gaff tape on the underside of the cymbal. I'm not sure if this is good practice or not, but it works.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Quote by pbiggie
I've seen some people put gaff tape on the underside of the cymbal. I'm not sure if this is good practice or not, but it works.
I'll have to mess around with this, and see what my results are.
Tape that shit up, son!

XD
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
you could put tape on the bottom of the bell and a bit out on the bow. loosen the felts back to normal, you could damage the cymbal.
Quote by HomeRecording
you could put tape on the bottom of the bell and a bit out on the bow. loosen the felts back to normal, you could damage the cymbal.
Just wondering, I've noticed some people with both felts on top, but I've also seen some people have one on top, and one on the bottom; you're supposed to have both on top, right? I've never had any form of teacher or instruction on drums, so I've set it all up based on what I've seen, and what feels right.
I put one felt on the top and one on the bottom. Then I stick a strip of raw bacon on top to tune the cymbal. You can adjust the damping by adjusting the length of the strip of bacon.
I'd probably get some window insulation tape.
You know, the foam stuff with peel and stick adhesive.
Experiment with putting it on the underside in different locations.
Try it in radial patterns, or in a circular pattern.
It's not that expensive and you can remove it fairly easily.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by herby190
Just wondering, I've noticed some people with both felts on top, but I've also seen some people have one on top, and one on the bottom; you're supposed to have both on top, right? I've never had any form of teacher or instruction on drums, so I've set it all up based on what I've seen, and what feels right.

my drummer has one on top, one on botton, but I dunno
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
my drummer has one on top, one on botton, but I dunno
I've been pretty unsure; I went half-and-half; my crash has one each, my splash has both on top, and I've been trying to decide what sounds better for the ride....
Last edited by herby190 at Jan 3, 2010,
So far, I laughed at the first reply, and got helpful advice from most of the rest; this is an ideal thread.

I was afraid it was going to be flooded with drummer jokes.

I'll have to experiment with everything I've heard here, and see what I like.
Last edited by herby190 at Jan 3, 2010,
I'm fairly sure you're supposed to have one on each side. That's what I do. IIRC, the felts are there to prevent metal-metal contact (cymbal to stand). And if you're going to put tape on, DON'T use duct tape. It'll leave nasty residue when you remove it
Loyal Member of the "Pluto Memorial Club." PM Dæmönika
Member 20 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09
Member 4 of UG's Anti-Hunting League - PM Holy Katana
Heretic And Killer, P.M guitar_man_guy or T0xicitY
Last edited by Ikilledkenny at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by Ikilledkenny
I'm fairly sure you're supposed to have one on each side. That's what I do. IIRC, the felts are there to prevent metal-metal contact (cymbal to stand).
All my cymbals still have a rubber piece between them and their stands, but still, what you're saying makes sense; I'll have to redo my crash.
Unfortunately, theres not much you can do, I have a Zildjian ZBT on my kit personally, i noticed if you used a dulled down stick on your ride side that'll help. Also playing closer to the bell will get you a darker sound
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
make sure one on top and bottom. be sure the cymbal can move freely so it doesn't start keyhole cracking.
i'd always go with one felt tip on top, and one on the bottom. Just keeps a tighter, cleaner sound in my opinion, and seems to keep it in nice shape over time.
If you were supposed to have both the foam things on top, why would they make 2 small ones?
Yes, I do know my attempts at humour are terrible.

Seemingly UGs only cosplayer.