been having a lot of problems with sustain since i started playing, when in any tuning, but especially dropped D or C i get nearly no sustain out of low notes up on the neck, just kinda buzzes out,but the higher the note more sustain, any suggestions on how i can somehow fix it, or why it happens , im running of a schecter damien 4 bass, any help/ advice is much appreciated
Use higher gauge strings? They won't be as 'floppy' so notes should ring out more. Bridge replacement is another option.

stratkat
Sadly, when you get into drop-tuning a bass, then scale length becomes a major factor and there is nothing you can do about it. The lower the tension on your strings, the less sustain you'll get. If you plan on playing a lot of drop-tune stuff (particularly if you drop down to "C") you really need to look at an extended scale bass. A 35" scale would be the minimum I would recommend.
The simplest solutions would be a better bridge/thicker strings.
Quote by Zycho
The simplest solutions would be a better bridge/thicker strings.

agreed.

also you could look into something like this. Or a compressor sustainer...which, actually, I believe is the same thing with a different name.

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=154&ParentId=261

maybe not that particular one. I have no experience with any of these except for a rack unit i have, which would get quite pricey.

It basically makes quiet notes louder and loud notes quieter to level everything out. So as your note fades it should boost it a bit to keep it the same.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Jan 4, 2010,
The other thing that you might want to look at is technique. String gauge and the down tuning will definitely be issues, but if you're not properly fretting the notes that can also cause buzz-outs. Make sure your finger is directly behind the fret with the edge of the fingertip right against the fretwire. Apply enough pressure that you get a clear note, but not so much that it begins to hurt or you can't play properly.
in addition to higher gauge strings try raising the action.

this'll stop it from "buzzing" out. it'll make it harder to play, but you also get better tone by raising the action.
umm, I think I have the same problem as you, but what exactly is "sustain"?
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by Rancid Ivy
what exactly is "sustain"?

Sustain is how long a note is held out.
Like you pluck a string, and count how long it takes till it is silent again.
Raise your action, how much sustain do you need?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright