Poll: Which amp should I buy?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which amp should I buy?
Acoustic B200 Half stack
10 34%
Acoustic B200 Combo
5 17%
Carvin BR15
3 10%
SWR LA15
0 0%
Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180
5 17%
Kustom KBA 115
6 21%
Voters: 29.
I've just joined a band as a bassist. This was never something that I had even considered a possibility before, so I never got around to buying a bass amp. My mistake.

I'm looking at the amps listed above here. As well as which one, I'd appreciate knowing which ones can be heard over a drummer. I'm using the drummer's brother's Rumble 100 which just barely gets over. My budget is probably about 400 bucks depending on how much I can get for my old Spider.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Jan 3, 2010,
Check out some amps by Acoustic. They are cheap, loud and decent quality
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Acoustic or Hartke are the two to consider, imo. The SWR won't be loud enough, I had one back in the day and it just doesn't cut it. Count that out right now if you're playing any sort of rock music.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Kustom are great amps. They are road worthy (aka indestructable) and loud as bombs. Carvins are a close second in the economy department. Nice overall sound.
Either the Carvin or the Acoustic. Both are good amps with a lot of headroom. I'd personally prefer the Carvin. For the Kustom, I think you'd have to move up to the Groove Bass series. For the SWR, you'd have to move up to the WorkingPro series.
Thanks guys. What about the ashdown? A friend of mine has one and if I remember right, it sounds pretty good.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by anarkee
Kustom are great amps. They are road worthy (aka indestructable) and loud as bombs. Carvins are a close second in the economy department. Nice overall sound.

+1.

Kustoms are ftw, and I love the KBA series
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
out of your choices, i like the carvin in terms of bang for buck. at this price you wont be getting any amazing tones, so i wouldnt worry about that too much. the acoustics are nice, but i find them too upper-mid rich, so they loose some versatility.

my choice, however, would be a peavy tour series half-stack. i know it costs more money, but the power is worth it and they have neodymium (sorry for the gross spelling) cabs, which are super light and your back will thank you. the amp itself is also extremely versitile, so it should get you through for a while. i replace my (oddly enough) rumble 100 with one about a year and a half ago and it has seen about 50 gig dates with no trouble at all