Are the potentiometers in the volume and tone slots the same and just wired differently, or are they different kinds?
They typically have different resistance ratings but otherwise they're the same but in different parts of the circuit controlling different parameters. If you want more, I suggest a Google search as I would rather not type out a bunch of stuff. AX84 is a good beginner site.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Wait a second. Potentiometers are variable resistors, so what do you mean by different resistances?
Quote by mmolteratx
They typically have different resistance ratings but otherwise they're the same but in different parts of the circuit controlling different parameters. If you want more, I suggest a Google search as I would rather not type out a bunch of stuff. AX84 is a good beginner site.

This but a tone pot is what's called an Audio taper pot. And your volume control is a linear taper.

Different resistances would be 500k, 250k those are the 2 most popular. Depending on whether you have single coils or humbuckers.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Last edited by boxcarmonument at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by boxcarmonument
This but a tone pot is what's called an Audio taper pot. And your volume control is a linear taper.

Some people will tell you this makes a difference (not accusing you sir) but it really doesn't.
Quote by boxcarmonument

Quote by Telecaster7
Some people will tell you this makes a difference (not accusing you sir) but it really doesn't.

Both of you are wrong. Both are whatever the hell you want them to be but typically the volume pot is audio (logarithmic) taper. The tone pot and treble/mid/bass are whatever the builder/owner chose to use. And when using a linear taper pot for volume control, you wind up like modern Fender amps with all of the volume change at one end of the knob. Granted, it's a bit less noticeable of a difference on TMB controls.

EDIT: And yes, pots are variable resistors but the resistance typically refers to the maximum amount available.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by boxcarmonument
Are you sure? Aren't the volumes audio taper, and the tones linear?

Quote by Telecaster7
It does. The amount of resistance it gives is at a certain point is a different curve. You probably tried a cheap audio taper, which doesn't have an even curve.

I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by AntiG3
Are you sure? Aren't the volumes audio taper, and the tones linear?

It does. The amount of resistance it gives is at a certain point is a different curve. You probably tried a cheap audio taper, which doesn't have an even curve.

for you.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Okay, my main question that I was indirectly asking was can I rewire a tone pot to make it into a second volume pot for a killswitch?
On a random, but related note, I was trying to remember the term antilog for a graph this morning. XD Thank you for reminding me.
Yes you can easily rewire the tone pot for a volume pot.

I prefer audio tapered to volume and audio tapered for tone, I don't like linear pots lol.

But you can use what ever, its the taper that is affect ie, linear will not be so gradual all the way up.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Okay, thank you everyone. I'll be doing some re-wiring tomorrow. : ) I don't really care if rhythm is antilog or linear, but a linear lead would be great since it would be a, well, linear, increase in volume for swells. Thanks again!