I've noticed that most musicians that are very good and possess music skills that seems like second nature to them usually started a very young age. The younger the better.

I know no one who started playing as an adult that knows more than just a few chords. (They suck is what I'm trying to say).

Is it because adults have less time to practice (more responsibilities) or is their actually something neurological going on?

And I know adults can learn theory, they can get fast, they can mechanically train their ear, but I'm talking about developing an intuition that a lot of people that start of early have.
you get out of it what you put into it.
GO Islanders!

J!E!T!S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!
Put a shit ton of effort in there and you will get that back...

Kind of.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Sure.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
That guy from Judas Priest (something Tipton) didn't start till he was in his 20s and he's a good guitar player. Tom Morello's another I think started late and there's loads more, so I'd say yeah, as long as you try hard.
Quote by GoxGetterxGuy
no.

Just cause you're old and can't use your pinky is no reason to be bitter.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
My boyfriends dad started playing drums in his 30's and is pretty awesome. So it is possible.
The reason you see few 'Adult' beginners that go on to become 'Rock Stars' is simply to ask why would they? Why would a guy that starts in his 20's or 30's give up the career he most likely has and money he makes that supports his family and pays his bills to start a band and put everything into it to most likely never be anything more then a local band? No point, teens or kids or whatever don't have that, they have parents supporting them so they can try that should they want. Then you know what happens? 99.99% of those kids/teens never become anything more then a local band with a career doing something else to pay the bills.

How many of your local bands sound really good? Depending on the size of the city, probably only a few. How many of those are doing something that hasn't already been done a hundred times over?

So yeah, adults play because they enjoy it and for no other reason and plenty of them are good...it's called practice...

Plus we can afford nicer shit then the kids haha so even if we suck we have the shit you would kill for hahah...

not saying I do, I could, but I also don't need the $1000+ guitar, I only play for fun. But I could if I wanted to no problem
In the Valley of Vung
If You Love Music , Love The Guitar, Love Your Insturment, and really actually put your mind to it and aren't just dreamn', then absolutely. But....If You let your "responsibilities" overwhelm you and burn you out and overwhelm you , then your dreamn'! and I'm not saying to neglect your responsibilities. Just find the time inbetween them to put an hour or even a half hour of practice in at least two ......maybe three times a day in if you can then you'll get pretty far. Some say that to much practice can be to much. They say you should practice like 2 times a day just for a solid hour each time and your md will be able to soak up the knowledge easier then craming and craming. And also If You play and play and play..it will help with your endurance and posture and speed etc... but you'll burn yourself out and eventually playing to much will make you kinda loose it. I can't really put it into words .....mm I'm tryin to say that if you cram to much and you will eventually hit ruts .....then you gotta take a good break from it and listen and or find new things to get you outta your rut...asically a break now and then can be good for refreshing your creativity. After a good break now and then from playing to much I Can sit down and really jam out alot of good shit right of the top of my mind because my minds fresh.......... enogh bullshit I'm a rambling bastard(true story) ........THE END**********
dubtastic
Didn't Satch start playing at age 18.
Quote by mikeyknowsbette
i can make a lolstack!

sure, you might not be able to become a world class classical virtuoso (unless you just have a fuckload of talent)but you can certainly get good if you practice enough.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Ciaphas
My boyfriends dad started playing drums in his 30's and is pretty awesome. So it is possible.

That's why

/necessary drummer joke.

anyway, a kid's mind is in the stage of learning. He'll learn anything you throw at him. Also, adults have less time to concentrate on learning on an instrument.
Tom Scholz from Boston didnt even pick up an instrument until he was 21
Gear:

Agile AL-3000, Tribal Blue
Ibanez ART100, Silver
Gibson Epoch Les Paul
Cordoba C5 Classical
Peavey MX-VTX 130
Crate XT-120R
Digitech RP90

Check out my band: Come Forth
On myspace: Come Forth TX
Quote by puppetmaster93
Tom Scholz from Boston didnt even pick up an instrument until he was 21

And then recorded foreplay the next year?

/rockband load screen
Quote by AlecMag
I love that song! You are god for putting it into a poem

Quote by LadyHellRaiser
Your hair is fckin epic, dude!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by rmr024
no ****in way!
I don't even know you but I think I love you...

So awesome.

I hate my fucking username.
the guy from Fall of Troy started in his late teens or twenties i believe, and he was pretty good when i saw them perform
Quote by Guitarman015
And then recorded foreplay the next year?

/rockband load screen

haha dont worry thats where i found it out too lol
Gear:

Agile AL-3000, Tribal Blue
Ibanez ART100, Silver
Gibson Epoch Les Paul
Cordoba C5 Classical
Peavey MX-VTX 130
Crate XT-120R
Digitech RP90

Check out my band: Come Forth
On myspace: Come Forth TX
Quote by thegloaming
the guy from Fall of Troy started in his late teens or twenties i believe, and he was pretty good when i saw them perform
He's fantastic. From what I heard, he was a godlike piano/drum player at a young age. Picking up a new instrument must have been simple. Damn you, Thomas Erak!
Yes, but like all things, the younger you are when you start, the easier it is for you to be good at it, because your brain is still forming
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
I think what it is with these virtuoso kids is two things.

1: Kids absorb knowledge easily at that age, so certain aspects come easier to them, or faster.

2: They have all day to practice. You have a career, a family, etc.

But there's no actual reason why you won't become a good musician. Like someone said, you get out what you put into it.
has a terrible signature.
I started and played bass when a teenager until my 30's....i have a music degree with the string bass, etc. Now I'm taking guitar lessons for the first time. The guitar is great in that you can stand alone playing and you don't need a band...The guitar pays you back faster than other instruments. My hard work is paying off a whole lot faster than I thought. If you want to learn then center yourself around guitar lessons and see where it takes you.