I'm currently playing a Gibson Les Paul standard through an 87' Jubilee. My pickups are a JB trembucker in the bridge and an Alnico II in the neck. I recently transitioned to heavy metal as a lead guitarist but my old alternative rock tone isn't quite working for me here. The Rhythm guitarist in the band had a peavy butcher and is playing some kind of EMG. Now our tones are clashing like hell and my mids are sucked under. I've tried boosting them but the tone gets indistinct on stage and i often get drowned out by the other guitar when we are at the minimum volume we need to over ride the drums. I'm not really inclined in the ways of manipulating our tone, but if anyone has any suggestions to help us fix this problem i would love your input.
Well the typical UG answer would be to get a good equalizer (i guess overcompensate for the sucked up mids) and try to run the signal into a PA instead of just right out of the amp. Using a PA lets you EQ the sound (and most venues have a sound tech who could work with PA if he hears that you're being drowned out). Also a change in tubes/speakers can do alot for your amplifier (unless its like a straight up vintage fender type). Also a clean boost to your OD channel might help.
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
couple of ideas.

1. Mic your gear.

2 make sure you're amps are pointed away from eachother. you might be getting some phase cancellation.

3 try and make your tones different from eachother.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Turn his mids down on the amp and yank the knob off, then get some super glue and glue it shut so that ****er can't steal your glory.

Or if you've got lots of time to spend with the amp, open it up and d/c the entire thing, he uses emg's so I'm sure he won't notice.
Guitar Gear
Marlin 2 Single 1 HumBuggy
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
V-Amp2
Marshall MG10CD - Microwaved
Line6 Spider III 30w - Put it in the oven
Cool, i'll experiment a little more. Sadly most of the venues here have really shitty sound systems, so it's more of a personal problem.
Quote by mansoor.h
Turn his mids down on the amp and yank the knob off, then get some super glue and glue it shut so that ****er can't steal your glory.

You have a trembucker on a TOM bridge o.O whatever works.

Maybe you should take time out and sit down with your other guitarist to EQ your amps together to get a balance that both of you are satisfied with. Fighting to have your EQs stand up over one another really isn't a solution.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Maybe you should take time out and sit down with your other guitarist to EQ your amps together to get a balance that both of you are satisfied with. Fighting to have your EQs stand up over one another really isn't a solution.

THIS
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe