Say I bought a MIDI to USB cable. If I hooked said cable up to my not-so-great keyboard, and then used a fairly good MIDI instrument program, could I make my keyboard sound more realistic?

In case it's not obvious, I don't know a whole lot about MIDI.
The sound depends on the program not the keyboard. Except for some features such as touch sensitivity that rely on the keys.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Last edited by Led man32 at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by Led man32
The sound depends on the program not the keyboard. Except for some features such as touch sensitivity that really on the keys.

Ok, cool thanks.

One more thing: Does anyone have any experience with this?
No experience with it, but I use an m-audio midi-to-usb interface occasionally, and it's never given me a problem.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Unless you don't have touch sensitive keys (which most keyboards, even the cheap ones, have), it won't matter if you have a $60 or a $6000 keyboard to use Midi Instruments.

What do you mean by more realistic sounding? Are you looking for a more realistic piano sound or some other type of sound
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Baiscally the keyboard itself produces a series of numbers, controling different parameters such as note, note length/duration, velocity, any sustain data from a pedal, modulation/pitch bend (cringes). Your DAW then interprets this data & chooses an appropriate sound sample from a bank of pre-recorded samples. Basically as others have said, the program makes the sound, the keyboard just triggers it. If you're actually looking for a piano sound, the best plug-in I've come across is Native Instruments' Akoustik Piano.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by lockwolf
Unless you don't have touch sensitive keys (which most keyboards, even the cheap ones, have), it won't matter if you have a $60 or a $6000 keyboard to use Midi Instruments.

What do you mean by more realistic sounding? Are you looking for a more realistic piano sound or some other type of sound

I do.

I'm looking for more realistic sounds in general on my keyboard. The drums and strings sound the best, whereas the other sounds aren't very good at all.
Quote by Sonny_sam
Baiscally the keyboard itself produces a series of numbers, controling different parameters such as note, note length/duration, velocity, any sustain data from a pedal, modulation/pitch bend (cringes). Your DAW then interprets this data & chooses an appropriate sound sample from a bank of pre-recorded samples. Basically as others have said, the program makes the sound, the keyboard just triggers it. If you're actually looking for a piano sound, the best plug-in I've come across is Native Instruments' Akoustik Piano.

Thanks for that. I'm actually looking for a bit more than piano (synth, strings, and electric piano sounds come to mind).