ok so i recently bought an xpt700XH with an edge 3 tremolo and while trying to tune it i've come across quite a conundrum. i loosen the pressure pads and tune it to standard. i then tighten the pressure pads and then attempt to use the fine tuning screws to bring it back in tune after re-tightening the pressure pads. i start at the low e and by the time im done tuning to the high e all the other strings have suddenly dropped down out of tune. what am i doing wrong here?
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
1) congrats on the xpt700, Im hopefully getting one soon too.

2)Try tuning the fine tuners the same way you used the regular tuners. ie. cross tuning.

I have an RG with an edge 3, and its kinda wierd to tune it for the first time, it gets easier, trust me.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
That's how floating bridges work. When you tighten one string, you're pulling the bridge up with it which loosens the other five. It's a sort of a balancing act when you tune a guitar with a bridge like that.

I reckon the best way to tune would be to start with the low and then the high E and work your way inwards, double checking them as you tune the next string.
ok guys thanks for the responses, im gonna give it another go.
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
You need to tune the strings as follows: E, e, B, A, G, D

Also, (on my Xiphos) tightening the locks makes the E and A go way too high, so they have to be tuned flat before being locked. Once you do that, just use the same E, e, B, A, G, D sequence to tune it with the fine tuners.
That's a sweet guitar you bought

edit- when I owned a guitar with a Floyd Rose, I tuned in this order
low E, A, e, B, D, G. It always worked fine for me
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Last edited by mcjosh at Jan 4, 2010,
a floating bridge 'floats' by using tension between the strings and the springs in the back
when you tune one string higher it pulls on the springs and lowers the bridge, and thus lowering the tuning of your other strings
likewise if you loosen a string then the springs in the back are pulling the bridge back, raising the tuning
it's kinda confusing to explain, but if you watch the bridge while you're tuning you can see how it moves
just go slow and make sure the bridge is parallel with the body when you're done
you'll probably have to adjust the spring tension. if your guitar is tuned but the bridge looks like its doing a divebomb then you have to tighten the springs (and retune your guitar), and if it's pulling the opposite way then you have to loosen your springs and retune your guitar

edit: beaten to it
but hopefully this made sense

also you should only have to do all this once unless you change tunings or string gauges
it's a pain but the floyd rose is so worth it
Last edited by ThyHorrorCosmic at Jan 4, 2010,
The edge 3 is weird looking in the parallel respect since it has that hump looking side view... thats the only way I can explain it.