Hi, I've been playing for a few years now and am in desperate need of a new amp. I am looking to spend around $1000 (I'm in South Australia, so thats AUD), give or take a few hundred. I play alot of rock, alternative, punk, grunge and hardcore and also some metal. I also really need a good clean sound. I currently play an Ashton AP2000 (hopefully not for much longer...) and am looking at playing gigs sometime soon. I am a little hesitant to buy used.

Are valve amps practical at this price range (Peavey Valveking 112 50W was suggested by a friend) and do they sound much better in smallish venues than a hybrid? I really don't know much about amps so any advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
If you buy the valve king your gonna need an overdrive to boost for metal. Maybe an eq as well.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
If you get the VK, be ready to mod it, aka swap the tubes, change the speaker, even change the OT if you want too.. Then it needs an OD to boost it into metal territory and perhaps an EQ pedal to shape the tone.

If you don't like the sound of that, perhaps look at a different amp. I suggest a Bugera 333XL/6260 or if you like modelling amps, a Vox Valvetronix or Peavey Vypyr.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
my friend has a valve king. an it sounds real good for the money. but if you want a heavier sound why not try the peavey 6505 1x12 combo.
you should definitely check out the BUGERA 333. I got this amp and i dont think theres much that it cant do.
Quote by rudesill
my friend has a valve king. an it sounds real good for the money. but if you want a heavier sound why not try the peavey 6505 1x12 combo.

Read his original post, he needs a good clean channel. The 6505+ 112 combo doesn't have a clean channel.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by soul.power
If you don't like the sound of that, perhaps look at a different amp. I suggest a Bugera 333XL/6260 or if you like modelling amps, a Vox Valvetronix or Peavey Vypyr.

My local store apparently stocks the Bugera 333XL, I'll hopefully give one a try some time this week. I'll also give the VOX VT a go while I'm there. Have you had much experience with either of these amps?

Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming.
Try looking at the valveking head with a 2x12 cab. The cab get used. If u mod it sounds amazing.
For other options although I love vox, the bugera seems a very good option. Good amps
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard