http://www.audiomasterclass.com/

Has anyone done this? I've been trying to take a class but most of them would require me to take a semester at the least off of college and I don't want to do that. What other similar courses are there that wouldn't require me to leave my college?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
That sounds like a question for Academic Advisement at your school. They might be able to tell you about programs at related schools that will allow credit transfer so you end up better off altogether for it!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
The friggen problem is there aren't any programs near enough to me to be practical. I've researched my local options pretty throughly and the nearest one is an hour and a half away from my campus. They also only offer the program during the regular school year. I'd spend almost as much in gas/train tickets as I would in tuition.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Have you considered an online course? I know berklee offers a bunch, Ableton are always advertising the Berklee Live classes, in fact there's a coupon like 6 inches away from my hand right now that was in the shipping box for my Suite 8 stuff.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Yeah, I really like the idea of an online course. That's where I found the audio masterclass. Berklee offers one eh? I don't really know much about them at all.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Well they're basically the biggest music school in the US, arguably. Berklee is in Boston, MA and a ton of famous people have gone there (John Mayer dropped out after a few years and look where he is now!). I've been around it a few times, but never inside. My ex almost went but decided she didn't want to get hooked on heroin like the rest of the students. I figure online courses could help you avoid a smack addiction.

That link you had looks questionable. They present their stuff realllllly well, but something doesn't feel right to me. Maybe it's the one-page website that had me scrolling for like ten minutes, or the fact that I've never heard of them before (and I spend a lot of time around stuff like this, the name would be bound to pop up at some point). I could be wrong, ask google for some testimonials. Real ones, not the ones they give you.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Oh no, I know Berklee haha. I live in Virginia. The guy that got me into guitar playing went there and one of my teachers did as well. I don't know much about online courses. Poor phrasing on my part.

Yeah, that was one of the issues I had with the website I had. It has a questionable feel to it which I got from the one page thing and the fact that I couldn't find very many reviews online. Then again, I've found great things with other websites I've trusted less. I imagine Berklee's online course would be rather expensive? Their site is currently down for maintenance. Do you know of any other online courses off the top of your head?

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Nope, sorry. I only know of Berklee's courses because of the advertising that Ableton shoves down my throat every time I visit their website. Amazing how that works!

The problem with audio arts is that an online course can't teach you what a real professor in a hands-on lab or studio can teach you. I'm sure you'll find a way to learn everything, though.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Yeah, that's another one of the problems I don't like. I would like hands on training. And you know, when I graduate, I might well do that but for now I'd like something to help me from where I am currently. I've been told that a pro could make sweet sweet sweet recordings with the gear I have but I sure as hell can't do it. I've actually SEEN people make legitimate recordings with gear similar to mine. It just seems like magic to me.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Sid McCall
I've been around it a few times, but never inside. My ex almost went but decided she didn't want to get hooked on heroin like the rest of the students. I figure online courses could help you avoid a smack addiction.

While I can say that there are students that do heroin there I wouldn't say that is indicative of the rest of the students. As a student there myself I can attest that I would never touch heroin in my life, and I can bet the people I surround myself wouldn't either. It's probably exaggerated because its a music school and musicians are known for doing drugs.
I know you probably didn't mean it as a diss to the rest of the students, but the way you said it came off pretty ignorant. I'm serious about my studies like most of the students there, heroin isn't something to **** around with.
I was just stating it as the reason my ex-girlfriend chose not to attend Berklee. That was just what she told me, and I've heard multiple accounts through the grapevine about it. It's mostly the classical musicians, from what I've heard.

Also, you'd be surprised what kinds of people end up doing illicit narcotics. I have a lot of friends who seemed like perfectly good people who turned out to have serious drug addictions along the lines of coke, crack, etc. It's not something to **** around with, but it's more common than you'd think, especially in the music industry.

Again, I go to a state school and not Berklee so I don't know firsthand. I just know what my friends in the city tell me.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
I was just stating it as the reason my ex-girlfriend chose not to attend Berklee. That was just what she told me, and I've heard multiple accounts through the grapevine about it. It's mostly the classical musicians, from what I've heard.

Also, you'd be surprised what kinds of people end up doing illicit narcotics. I have a lot of friends who seemed like perfectly good people who turned out to have serious drug addictions along the lines of coke, crack, etc. It's not something to **** around with, but it's more common than you'd think, especially in the music industry.

Again, I go to a state school and not Berklee so I don't know firsthand. I just know what my friends in the city tell me.

I definitely understand, I very recently had a friend die of heroin and never knew he was even screwing around with that.

But if someone cites that as their main reason for not going to a school, they must not be very strong people themselves.

BTW, i've heard that its the hardcore jazz players, they think in order to 'be jazz' you've got to do heroin, a'la Davis, Coltrane, Pass, etc..
Damn, sorry to hear about your friend! I'm trying to mentally prepare for that to happen to some guys very close to me right now. It's bound to happen sooner or later unfortunately.

Well knowing my ex, she's made plenty of decisions that lead me to believe she'd have a hard time staying away from tempting things like that. She's also obviously not the smartest person or she'd still be with me! Heyo!

This thread is officially wayyyy off track. My bad. This is what happens when you give a blackberry to a guy who can't sleep. My bad y'all!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by Sid McCall
Well knowing my ex, she's made plenty of decisions that lead me to believe she'd have a hard time staying away from tempting things like that. She's also obviously not the smartest person or she'd still be with me! Heyo!

This thread is officially wayyyy off track. My bad. This is what happens when you give a blackberry to a guy who can't sleep. My bad y'all!

Eh, kind of my fault, sorry for getting off topic!

But back on topic, I think for now it would be best to stay in school, but maybe on the side you can supplement classes with reading books until you have the time/money to dedicate to it. Currently I am reading 'The Art of Mixing' by David Gibson and I really like how he presents the material and it has already helped my mixes immensely.