First of all, I have no experience switching pickups, but I have experience soldering and whatnot. Now I was looking at the Carvin DC400, and noticed that it had tons of stuff not normally on guitars. The site listed push/pull active/passive controls with passive master volume & tone and active master volume & cut/boost for bass & treble, 3-way pickup selector, 2 dual/single coil switches, and a phase switch. Can you replace the humbuckers just like a normal guitar? What more info do I need when replacing them. Also, will I still have the coil split, phase, and active functions if I replace them?

EDIT: I just realized I should've put this in GB&C. Oh well...
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Last edited by bingeandletgo at Jan 4, 2010,
Well, you picked a doozy to be your first pick up swap on.
What you will probably want to start with is, check how many wire leads are on the existing pick ups. If you want all the same options to work you will nedd to find p/us with the same amount of leads. That being said you can automatically eliminate any p/us that only have 2 wires cus they definetly won't do any of that stuff.
Swapping them will be alot easier if you make a reference to where all the leads are currently going. Then solder the new p/u wires to those points.
Here's where it gets tricky and the extent of my advice runs out. Not all p/u manufacturers use the same color codes for their wires. Some will use green and red for north and south and others will use blue and green or other colors. Once you have decided which p/u you want to put in, go to the website and get the wiring schematic for them and that should tell you.
Hope this helps and good luck.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
That helped a lot. Thanks.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.