I've been playing accoustic guitar now for about 2 years. I learn in my (very limited) spare time, so I'm not very good. But I love it and it's a lot of fun to be able to play some of my favourite songs. Just a few chords and a strumming pattern and I can play some pretty recognisable tunes

But I kinda have this hankering to learn to play bass instead. I'm not sure whether my interest is genuine, or whether I'm just getting a bit bored the guitar and want to try something different -- which is pretty common for me. I change hobbies a fair bit. I don't have any opportunities to try it out since none of my friends are bass players (which is actually one of the aspects that appeals to me).

So my question is this... how do you know you are a bass player? And how do you know you are a guitar player? Or do you just <i>know</i>. Like you are born that way
well, do you want to play bass?

that might help
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
usually bas players are the people who don't really like showing off. they're more like the sort of people who just want to stand back and know that they are the reason everything is running perfectly.

A guitar player is more the kinda of person who wants people to think hes awesome.

Im sure someone will say it better then me.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
usually bas players are the people who don't really like showing off. they're more like the sort of people who just want to stand back and know that they are the reason everything is running perfectly.

A guitar player is more the kinda of person who wants people to think hes awesome.

Actually, from my experience, you've hit it pretty good there. Every bassist I know is pretty laid back in comparison to the guitarists I know.

Another thing to look for: Do you love the groove of a funky bassline? If so, you might be a bassist.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by the_perdestrian

Bullseye. Just like Rev said us bassists tend to be laid back and just simply love a good bass line. Listen to your favourite songs and see if you prefer the guitar parts over the bass lines.
Quote by Revelation
Actually, from my experience, you've hit it pretty good there. Every bassist I know is pretty laid back in comparison to the guitarists I know.

Another thing to look for: Do you love the groove of a funky bassline? If so, you might be a bassist.

Sure. As a guitar player I definitely do not aspire to being a fancy shredder. I much prefer simple, good quality rhythm playing.