Yes I know there are lotsa lotsa threads similar to this, but my question isnt exactly the same as others. Anyway, I'm looking for the best distortion pedal under $150. I have a Line 6 Spyder III 15 (yes I know...) and I play Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, SOAD, Metallica etc. It must be gewd for solos and have LOTS o' gain. I was looking at the Digitech Hardwire Metal Distortion and MXR Fullbore Metal. These two seem decent, so if all yous could recommend either one of those or a different one, that'd be great.
Dean Z-X w/ Duncan Invader SH-8
Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR w/ Duncan SH-4 JB
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe (Amber Sunburst)
Vox VT15
Line 6 Spider III

R.I.P Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan
The Spider isn't going to take a distortion pedal well. You might as well save up for an entirely better amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Hardwire pedals are great, but as the guy above me said, your amp won't take it well anyways
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
No modeling amp is going to take any pedal well. It will sound terrible. You will really be better off saving up for a new amp.
+1 to the guys above me

i would recommend saving up for maybe a small tube combo and building your sound off of stat. B-52s, Valvekings, maybe even the Bugeras are pretty decent beginner/intermediate amps. definitely go used if you can.
Thats what I thought. Im probably selling my amp to get a Peavey Vypyr 15 or a Raven 15 watt amp. Would those take distortion pedals well?
Vox VT15
Line 6 Spider III

Again with the Spider hating... They're just not that bad...

I used a spider II back in the day and I was a able to get some fairly decent distortion tones out of it, so personally I'd say pore over the manual and fiddle with the amp more; I was always quite fond of the red clean (JC-120) and the red metal (recto of some kind), and the recto setting got me through most of my metal needs.
Ah the eternal struggle of trying to do things on the cheap. I don't miss it...

If you really HAVE to get a new amp, i agree with A_Random_Person; go with a valveking. For the money, I've never owned a better tube amp, plus the distortion on those things is surprisingly decent, and versatile. I own the head, not sure if the combos are as good, but I'd at least recommend trying one out. With one of them and an OD (Digitech Bad Monkey, if you're looking for cheap/Fromel Death is Gain, if you're looking for insanely good), you should be set.
It doesn't matter if you use MT-2 or Hardwire series pedal, solid state amps ruin them.
The cheapest choice would be to buy a Tube Pedal.

Guyatone MMX Metal Monster - i would say this is the only choice for players who have a cheap solid state amplifier, and seek for a good Tons of gain sound. Its a tube pedal, it runs on a tube so it doesn't have the horrible solid state sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybEssXFNVqM it has massive amount of gain.

The problem is that this pedal is discontinued, unless find it on ebay, or accidently in a store of some sorts it would be hard to find one.
Valveking is way expensive for me. Im probably just gonna save up for a Vox VT30 Tube amp. Ive played that and its real nice.
Vox VT15
Line 6 Spider III

The VT isn't a 'real' tube amp - it only has one preamp tube with everything else being transistor driven. It's a hybrid. A true tube amp must have preamp and power tubes.

It is a great amp, though it's not terribly loud.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Hmmmm... The radial tonebone classic tube distortion pedal seems appropriate for me. I read some reviews and it seems like a good choice for me. Does anyone know anything about this pedal?
Vox VT15
Line 6 Spider III

Quote by Raijouta
The VT isn't a 'real' tube amp - it only has one preamp tube with everything else being transistor driven. It's a hybrid. A true tube amp must have preamp and power tubes.

Phail.

By that definition, a Spider Valve would be termed as a true tube amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
No modeling amp is going to take any pedal well. It will sound terrible. You will really be better off saving up for a new amp.

That's shit, it depends on the modeler. In this case you're right but the latest generation of modelers probably takes pedals a lot better.