Page 1 of 2
One of my good guitarist friends just turned me on to these guys. Pretty impressive stuff. Just wondering if anyone else had even heard of them.

This song's pretty tight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ho4-tExpTE&feature=PlayList&p=7B21E57EAFBE6015&index=0&playnext=1
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
Amazing album. They came to my town, and my friend got to go backstage and get some guitar advice from Tosin Abasi. I can't wait for them to make more stuff.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

"Where words fail, music speaks."
-Hans Christian Andersen
good stuff but really wanky at times.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
yeh i like the songs where it's more creative and unique rather than shredshredsweepsweep
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
I prefer Periphery.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
I recently discovered these guys, very cool stuff. Are the drums on the album programmed? Because they sound really similar to a lot of the bulb/periphery stuff that had drums made with Superior 2.0...
Top lel.
Quote by the memory
I recently discovered these guys, very cool stuff. Are the drums on the album programmed? Because they sound really similar to a lot of the bulb/periphery stuff that had drums made with Superior 2.0...

Yep they are. Guitar was recorded through POD X3 amazingly enough : o, it was before bulb had the axe fx.
Quote by the memory
Bulb programmed the drums on the album, actually =p
Ah that figures, I thought it sounded very close to his buttersnips/unleash the pwnies production

Man... i need that pod patch. I swear I'd die of hapiness if i could get mine to sound half as good as that. I downloaded a "bulb patch" but it sounded nothing like it
Top lel.
Quote by the memory
Ah that figures, I thought it sounded very close to his buttersnips/unleash the pwnies production

Man... i need that pod patch. I swear I'd die of hapiness if i could get mine to sound half as good as that. I downloaded a "bulb patch" but it sounded nothing like it

Do remember that bulb produces the shit out of the tracks. The sound that he gets in the album is not the same as the one that comes straight out of the pod. But it's still an awesome tone. The best thing you can do is to mess with the settings yourself. Guitar, pickups, cables, monitors and playing affect the overall tone. It may work for bulb but not for you .

Tosin Abasi Interview
Tosin Abasi Lesson
Quote by WishfulShredder
neither are remotely like each other despite the Bulb factor in both

Both have a fair few stylistic similiarities. Low tuned 7 and 8-string guitars, with similar guitar tones, similar approaches to riffs (Meshuggah beats and odd chords, nearly always major), intense technical showmanship and both have freely admitted to being influenced by each other.
And AAL > Periphery IMO.
Quote by Magero
Both have a fair few stylistic similiarities. Low tuned 7 and 8-string guitars, with similar guitar tones, similar approaches to riffs (Meshuggah beats and odd chords, nearly always major), intense technical showmanship and both have freely admitted to being influenced by each other.
And AAL > Periphery IMO.

eh sorta, except that AAL's riffing is a lot more subtle and is covered by breakbeats and cool electro shit.
It's not a bad thing for them to sound similar.
They're both in basically the same mindset when it comes to writing, so it's not a huge surprise haha.
Quote by WishfulShredder
neither are remotely like each other despite the Bulb factor in both

Oh so that means I can't say whether I like one Bulb-related project over another? Don't be an ass.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Lol, and it WOULD be about Periphery vs. AAL as well, wouldn't it?

When the two bands are obviously so happy about their common ground.

I don't like AAL but I do like Tobin's playing. And his custom is gorgeously weird, reminds me of some kind of alien whale.
That 8-string without a top horn?
Hate it
I hate fucked up shapes like that. Glad he's using Ibby 8s on his tours.
Now he just needs to tour Aus <_<
Just found out about them from a friend yesterday. I've listened to CAFO a good 10-20 times already.
Quote by MetalOblivion93
The Philosopher = Smart
The Philosopher = Win

Quote by sashki
Slayer wrote a negative song about you because you considered the possibility of them writing a positive song.

JOIN THE PS3 ALLIANCE GROUP
I can't wait for AAL to come out with more stuff. Haven't gotten the chance to see them here in atlanta yet =/ Everyone talks about periphery but I can not find any music by them as a band. Just short clips and samples that their guitarist has uploaded on sites. Do they have a demo or something out? I know their full length album is coming out april 20th
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
go to bulbs soundclick. google it.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by C.C. Deville
I can't wait for AAL to come out with more stuff. Haven't gotten the chance to see them here in atlanta yet =/ Everyone talks about periphery but I can not find any music by them as a band. Just short clips and samples that their guitarist has uploaded on sites. Do they have a demo or something out? I know their full length album is coming out april 20th

http://howmaywehelpyou.blogspot.com/2009/08/periphery-you-decide.html

A few packs if you don't want to download each song from soundclick.
Thank you very much cfrank =D
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
That's so awesome that he's just willing to give little lessons backstage.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
I just saw som e interviews. He seems like a great guy. Also a great, creative and inspiring musician.

His music is awesome aswell.
tosin will never share bunkbeds with buckethead, shawn, or jason because he cant write a song to poop his pants
Quote by Leezy
tosin will never share bunkbeds with buckethead, shawn, or jason because he cant write a song to poop his pants

Jason?
Jason Becker, half of Cacophony.

Personally I think Tosin writes great stuff. It's new and such it's going to differ from the way the old guitar virtuoso stuff was great, but great none the less imho.
Quote by Freepower

Personally I think Tosin writes great stuff. It's new and such it's going to differ from the way the old guitar virtuoso stuff was great, but great none the less imho.

I totally forgot about Becker.
Quote by Freepower

that's why AAL is so good; Tosin doesnt write "guitar music" per se, he writes music that is listenable no matter which instrument you play. there are elements of about 3 or 4 different genres in his music, and he AIMED to make it like that (hence the GTFO to that guy). I actually think tosins compositions are much more interesting than the above guitarists listed (although obviously they were more technically skilled guitarists).

but hey, Im a fanboy at the moment, so Im incredibly biased.
Page 1 of 2