so i wanna play some of in flames newer stuff on my guitar but i need some thicker strings to play that low so,do i buy .10 or .11 strings?
Quote by JacobTheMe
One time I saw a flower and said "Thats pretty."

My dad responded "Pretty gay..."

Last edited by Havoc69 at Jan 4, 2010,
depends if you're going to be playing leads..
if you are then .10s are probably better...
.11s are good if you want to play just rhythm.. it's going to take time for you to get used to them if you havent used them before though..
if you're going to keep it in drop Bb as your main tuning, i would probably go for either .11's or even go for .12's. a mate of mine has 11's on his Ibanez in drop B, and they feel like .09's do at standard tuning.
definately try .11's at least though and if not, then even thicker.
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
Hmm idk with my band imma be playing rhythm i believe idk but by myself lead,and tuning it wont be the same right?? and also other tunings higher than that one wont sound good right?
Quote by JacobTheMe

in higher tunings, they will be a lot tougher to play, yes.
but if you're going to have it downtuned most of the time, then i'd definately look into it
if you do decide to tune it up every now and then though, 11's are probably your better bet. they'll be hard to play for about 2-3 days but your hands and tone will get much stronger from it.
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
im not really sure what your saying about the tuning in your last post... different from what? its just c standard dropped so yea idk what you mean but id recommend at very least 12 unless you like your strings floppy... i have 2 guitars in drop c right now one with 11s the other with like 14-15s or somethin dont remember.. but yea the 11s are pretty floppy at least to me.. and the thick ones are pretty tight but not bad except the g string always sounds out of tune.. so maybe get a threaded g if your gonna go thick will probably sound better.. thats what BTBAM uses..
Quote by brandon2784
im not really sure what your saying about the tuning in your last post... different from what? its just c standard dropped so yea idk what you mean but id recommend at very least 12 unless you like your strings floppy... i have 2 guitars in drop c right now one with 11s the other with like 14-15s or somethin dont remember.. but yea the 11s are pretty floppy at least to me.. and the thick ones are pretty tight but not bad except the g string always sounds out of tune.. so maybe get a threaded g if your gonna go thick will probably sound better.. thats what BTBAM uses..

its drob bb not drob b,but what i mean is that lets just say i buy the 11 strings and i tune it too e standard will it sound the same or will it sound different cuz of the tougher strings,so i should get 12 then???
Quote by JacobTheMe

I use 12s on c standard the tone is amazing

For drop Bb 11s will do
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
ahh id like it to sound good in c standard too,i play alot of dethklok
Quote by JacobTheMe

Last edited by Havoc69 at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by Havoc69
its drob bb not drob b,but what i mean is that lets just say i buy the 11 strings and i tune it too e standard will it sound the same or will it sound different cuz of the tougher strings,so i should get 12 then???

an 11-52 or 11-50 set sounds extremely different in standard than it does in drop Bb. It's springy and spongy dropped low, and tight and percussive tuned high.
I buy a 7 string set, and put the lowest 3 strings on, and the highest 3. Leave out the middle.

Get it in 11s atleast though
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
I buy a 7 string set, and put the lowest 3 strings on, and the highest 3. Leave out the middle.

Get it in 11s atleast though

I do this for my baritone guitar.