Page 1 of 2
i am in a band and a want our next songs to sound
huge! like at the foundation studios. or the red planet.

helpz plzz!!!!
Two marshall DSL100's
two marshall 1960 cabinets
Ibanez ts9
boss ns-2
korg pitchblack tuner
ESP ltd EC-400 gold top
Esp lts H-1001 purple
By having high quality equipment and skill when it comes to Audio Production. Things like good recording rigs and qantization of drums really come handy when doing studio recordings. It will be VERY hard to replicate such sounds if you're recording at home.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Dream Pin
you come and record your album with me.

This.

Either that or you spend the next five years trying to get as good as your man here.
A simple trick I use to make things sound "Huge" is to really make it sound "Open."

Record your guitar part, and copy it. Then move one to the far left and the other to the far right. It's kind of a cheapo fix, but it works.
Quote by rooster456
A simple trick I use to make things sound "Huge" is to really make it sound "Open."

Record your guitar part, and copy it. Then move one to the far left and the other to the far right. It's kind of a cheapo fix, but it works.

dont copy and paste things
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by rooster456

While this works if you're lazy, if you really care about the song, re-record the guitar part, then pan the two different tracks left and right. It sounds a lot better and fuller.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
someone ban this guy

He certainly brought the lulz for today.
Quote by rooster456

Welp, here's one more thing I need to add here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1255223

I'll get to it in a few
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
for my songs i record the guitar part 3 times, once for th center track, and twice for left and right, then i copy the first one and that gives me 4 tracks total, then i give the center recording the main sound i want, the i give the left and right a few effects like reverb or delay if i want them, then i give the 4th track the one that i copyed a slight increase in bass, but turn the over all volume down on it. i find that gives me a pretty nice and full sound.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
it doesn't work like that

was that at me?
Quote by muckypup
^^^ Yeah, I don't think that copying and pasting can EVER work, it will always bring shit with it, phase issues, not sounding natural.

Creates an effect called constructive interference, demostrated by this picture:

Copying and pasting doesnt cause phasing issues, because the two pieces of sound are exactly the same, it just cancels out the panning, giving you a sound that's twice as loud as it would normally be coming down the middle of the recording.
i wasnt panning the two track i copy and pasted, i had them both on center, with one turned down a lot just with added bass,
dont just *facepalm* me, if im doing something wrong ide like to learn about it rather than some guy just be a dick.
Actually I just explained what you're doing wrong, but you're too thick as shit to work it out.
Quote by Beefmo
Creates an effect called constructive interference, demostrated by this picture:

Copying and pasting doesnt cause phasing issues, because the two pieces of sound are exactly the same, it just cancels out the panning, giving you a sound that's twice as loud as it would normally be coming down the middle of the recording.

this post doesnt explain it what to ever, im not paning.
Interesting, I copy and paste and eq, pan and effect them differently but it seems like I should be re-recording them. I guess that makes sense for getting a more natural sound, perhaps using slightly different tones for each new track. I always have a problem getting that really good bottom end without it sounding too compressed, I suppose I should get some good monitors and stop using my headphones? They're good headphones for the studio but it always sounds better when I'm mixing than the final mix, so is it better to mix with monitors?
yeah its best to re-record for seperate tracks. but i get lazy some times
Quote by wozzsta
this post doesnt explain it what to ever, im not paning.

I never said it needed to be panned, I just said it cancelled the panning out, with the implication being if there was any.

Two tracks of the same shit will just make it twice as loud, two tracks of the same shit with the bass boosted will just make it twice as loud with the bass boosted.
Quote by Beefmo
I never said it needed to be panned, I just said it cancelled the panning out, with the implication being if there was any.

Two tracks of the same shit will just make it twice as loud, two tracks of the same shit with the bass boosted will just make it twice as loud with the bass boosted.

yeah but the two tracks have different effects, i record clean then use amplitube, so on the main track i have my main sound, the the left and right with slightly different effects, then the 4th track centerd copyed from the 1st take, with the volume lowerd, and diffrent effect again and a little bass.

is that totaly wrong, i mean the 4th track doesnt even NEED to be there, it just adds to the fullness, becuase its four different effects.

if u listen to the track called first song with band u will see what i mean.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/wozzsta/music/all/play742582
not a guitar, but one of the fullest sounds i can think of is the drums in led zeppelin's cover of "when the levee breaks." that sound is just natural reverb and using good mic placement. throw in the fact that jimmy page knew what he was doing, and youve got a thick, full sound.

so it comes down to knowing what you are doing, having good quality equipment and knowing where to record.

start by playing "tight" and recording multiple takes of guitars and other "lead" instruments. use effects subtly and make sure everything has its own place in the sonic and stereo mix. so guitars with a ton of low end overlapping with the bass, not going to give you that thick and heavy sound you think it will.
Quote by wozzsta
yeah but the two tracks have different effects, i record clean then use amplitube, so on the main track i have my main sound, the the left and right with slightly different effects, then the 4th track centerd copyed from the 1st take, with the volume lowerd, and diffrent effect again and a little bass.

is that totaly wrong, i mean the 4th track doesnt even NEED to be there, it just adds to the fullness, becuase its four different effects.

if u listen to the track called first song with band u will see what i mean.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/wozzsta/music/all/play742582

i'll try to be nice here, as i dont see any reason to be a jerk to you.

as was sort of explained earlier, when you copy a track and ad it into the mix, all it does is increase the volume of the first track. the picture showed that adding two identical waves together only increases the volume. even with the little bit of bass boost, you're not getting any different results from adding the bass boost and a little extra level to the original track without the copy in the mix.

the reason it works to have two different takes be panned out to the sides is that each take, since it comes from a human, is different. to hear this in action, play the same part twice and get it as close as you can and pan them both dead center. doesn't sound that great huh? just louder and a little muddier right? then pan them all the way out and notice the difference. each ear is getting a slightly different sound which widens the track all the way out to your ears

i would suggest two different takes panned hard left and right, and let the bass handle the center. if you do any more takes, don't pan them on top of the first two, bring them in a little bit, so that each track/take has it's own place to sit.
Well as entertaining as reading this was, I actually learned quite a bit. I had heard about the copying/pasting trick, but after reading this I won't be doing that anymore. I never really thought about it, but the reasons it doesn't work make perfect sense.. so thanks ^.^
Lol at people who can't record something that doesn't sound like a pile of mushy fecal matter thinking they have any right AT ALL to offer recording advice.

It's like taking advice on your physics homework from your 5 year old downs syndrome cousin whose hobbies include picking his nose and attempting to play tony hawk games.

I'm looking at you Wozzta.
don't copy the guitar track, re-record it instead, that will make it sound HUGE

if you're tooooo lazy for that, use a "latency" plugin to add a short delay, 5-20 milliseconds or something. but doing it the re-record thing will be the best IMHO.
Quote by Dream Pin
Lol at people who can't record something that doesn't sound like a pile of mushy fecal matter thinking they have any right AT ALL to offer recording advice.

It's like taking advice on your physics homework from your 5 year old downs syndrome cousin whose hobbies include picking his nose and attempting to play tony hawk games.

I'm looking at you Wozzta.

why is eveyone on UG such a prick, cant we just discus things nicely?
Quote by wozzsta

People in this forum take the subject matter very seriously. Don't take it too personally wozzsta, just keep practicing and asking nicely.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by wozzsta

Not everyone on UG is a prick. Just me. Good cop bad cop and all that. I'm the bad cop.

But seriously. I may be a ****, but I'm a **** that's right.
You don't take advice on your physics homework from a downs kid. You shouldn't take advice on recording from someone who can't make a good recording themselves.

Common ****ing logic.
Quote by wozzsta

Respectless people are all over UG...
My point still stands.

Seems like common sense is employed everywhere except music related things.

Should I give a few more examples? It's like taking advice on making a good movie from that asshole who made Hostel.
It's about taking advice on cooking from someone who can't even cook a ready meal properly.
It's like taking advice on the best brand of cologne from a hobo.
It's like asking a non-smoker to recommend a nice tasting brand of cigarettes.

COME
THE ****
ON.

What alternate dimension have I entered where having common sense, logic and rationale makes you an asshole?
I'm not being a ****, I'm being realistic.
If you think that is a good recording, you're delusional.
If you accept it's a bad recording, why are you offering advice on recording because SURELY you need the advice YOURSELF?!

Or am I the only person who sees it that way?
Last edited by Dream Pin at Jan 9, 2010,
Quote by Dream Pin
My point still stands.

Seems like common sense is employed everywhere except music related things.

Should I give a few more examples? It's like taking advice on making a good movie from that asshole who made Hostel.
It's about taking advice on cooking from someone who can't even cook a ready meal properly.
It's like taking advice on the best brand of cologne from a hobo.
It's like asking a non-smoker to recommend a nice tasting brand of cigarettes.

COME
THE ****
ON.

What alternate dimension have I entered where having common sense, logic and rationale makes you an asshole?
I'm not being a ****, I'm being realistic.
If you think that is a good recording, you're delusional.
If you accept it's a bad recording, why are you offering advice on recording because SURELY you need the advice YOURSELF?!

Or am I the only person who sees it that way?

Finally some ****ing sense is being spoken
Page 1 of 2