Hey all, I've got an issue somewhat.

I hate the sound of new strings. Suprising, I know, but I hate the tin-can sound that they give off. I've got a show coming up in a couple weeks and I just put on a brand new set of D'addario XL's.

How can I 'deaden' my strings to make them sound like they're not brand new. I've heard around that James Jameson never changed his strings. Don't ask me for a source, as I don't have one.

Thanks in advance.
Buy duller roundwound strings or buy halfwound or flatwound strings next time.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Just play them
Alot
Two weeks is plenty
Quote by Jody LeCompte
"My personal preference has always been for a rack unit. One less thing to play dance dance revolution with on your pedalboard"

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
God, I'm with you there mate, I HATE the sound of new strings. Disgusting. Like nails down a chalkboard.

I'd suggest just pounding the $hit out of them over the next 2 weeks in practice. Alternatively, you could do things that tend to kill strings, like playing with dirty/greasy hands.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
sweat and dirt mainly.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
You could buy cheap ass strings or you could EQ your rig to get rid of the bright sound you hate so much. Take all your highs out that'll make your bass sound more like a pile of mud.
Wow, strings aged two years. That's horrid. Strangely I either like brand new roundwounds or flatwounds. I hate the sound of dead rounwounds.

Anyway, I'm not sure what you're looking for here. Two weeks is more than enough time to wear in a pair of strings, even with only an average amount of regular playing. In my mind that's already 25-30% of the strings life gone.
previous posts have it right: In my experience, you can get rid of the clangy sound by turning down the treble, and it should go away with about 2 weeks playing.
ive heard something about smearing butter on them?? i would google it before you try it though
Quote by ExurKun
ive heard something about smearing butter on them?? i would google it before you try it though

LOL. I think margarine might be more appropriate.
Make new strings sound old fast?

You'd have to produce a chemical interaction in order to do this.
Find an old, funky sneaker.
Put the strings in the sneaker along with a rotten hard boiled egg. Burry the sneaker under a chicken coop for 7 to 10 days. The methane in the egg will interact with the nickel in the strings and expedite the aging process. Lighter gauge strings will require less time.
iv had my strings for 4 years, my G string (no pun) is black now and A and D closely followed (started off silver) sound flat and thumpy. i tried the old boil them trick, which initially made them brighter now they sounded even more dead after about 3 days.
Spector legend 4 or

Ibanez btb500+? or SRX 500+?
PM me and help a fellow bassist with a guitar choice
Quote by OtamotPuhctek
Make new strings sound old fast?

You'd have to produce a chemical interaction in order to do this.
Find an old, funky sneaker.
Put the strings in the sneaker along with a rotten hard boiled egg. Burry the sneaker under a chicken coop for 7 to 10 days. The methane in the egg will interact with the nickel in the strings and expedite the aging process. Lighter gauge strings will require less time.

I honestly can't tell if you're serious or not.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I actually did something that completley killed my strings, and I didn't mean to...

I learned that chapstick is not an acceptable substitute for Finger Ease. Rub some chapstick on your strings, and they'll be dead in a couple days.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I dislike the sound of new strings too, I like them a bit aged. I usually just play my bass and leave the case open in my room for a while, until they get all aged. I've found that SIT [Stay in Tune] Strings don't sound super bright when you put them on brand new. I'm switching from Ernie Balls to them for that exact reason. That and they are really nice strings.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
a wiping of vegetable oil?

I never said it was a good idea.

Carvin will sell you some flatwounds, cheap, now that's a good idea.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I usually just turn the tone knob down.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Buying d'addarios was the right choice, I notice they don stay lively for very long.
from my understanding, strings deaden from the oils on your hands/fingers...so just while watching tv or something, just rub your hands and fingers all along the strings. might work, who knows?
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
You guys keep your strings on a long time. I get new ones about every 2 months or so
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Quote by gilly_90

I honestly can't tell if you're serious or not.

I'd try it.