Poll: Don't vote if you don't listen to metal
Poll Options
View poll results: Don't vote if you don't listen to metal
Only metal (maybe a handful of hard rock songs)
12 11%
Other genres as well
97 89%
Voters: 109.
Page 1 of 2
I know a fair few guys that listen exclusively to metal and think they're real tough but then i come on UG and most people seem to have lots of variety. By metal I mean real heavy stuff, not Led Zeppelin or AC/DC.
do these people play guitar?
because most good musicians play or take intrest in other styles.
For example, I might be going to see lamb of god this year, and I play blues with my mate all the time.
I listen to anything that sounds good, even though 99% of stuff that sounds good to me is metal, I like prog. rock bands like tool and pink floyd, some jazzy stuff (rarely, but i still like it) and even blues every now and then
youve got to b sad to only listen to metal

a wee bit of variation is good
Sarcasm is beautiful, think about it.
I like Folk Music, such as Martin Simpson, The Houghton Weavers and Nic Jones
I like Hip Hop, like N.W.A, Lupe Fiasco and Africa Bombaata
I like Electronic Music such as kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream and Jean-Michel Jarre
I like Classical, Vaughan Williams, Handel, Elgar ect.
I like Prog Rock, Caravan, King Crimson and Camel
I like Post Rock, Explosions in the Sky, God is an Astronaut, Godspeed you! Black Emperor

They are the main genre's outside of metal I enjoy.
i pretty much only like metal...
except for j-pop. i am confused as to how that happened, but thats just how i am.
I like various forms of metal and rock. Classical music is cool with me.

I'd like to hear some more good electronic music cuz I love Mezzanine by Massive Attack but don't know anything else about the genre/s.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
I'd say ~80% metal, although when I listen to hard rock it usually still tickles the same metal bone. Maybe 10% of the music I listen to is decently removed from metal/rock, at best.
Wow.. only 2 of them with "only metal" in the poll? Strange to see that in a metal forum..
Wann kann ich dich von diesem Ort wegbringen?
Wann ist der Tod unser einziger Zuschauer?
Wann können wir schreien anstatt zu flüstern?
Wann ist der neue Anfang das Ende dieses traurigen Madrigals?
I listen to some other stuff, like folk (both modern and older stuff), ambient, and I have a sick love of cheesy 80s/70s pop which I sometimes indulge in

But really, probably 80% or more of what I listen to is metal.
I can take a road that'll see me through.
Metal is my main thing, though I still listen to other things when the mood comes.

It's never good to limit yourselves to something, whatever it might be.
Metal is my main genre definatly but I love loads of other music. Metal seems to come with a stereotype, being, if you listen to metal you hate everything else. In the majority of cases its not true.
lol guys u just dont no that metal is the best and msot brutal and so muich better than all oher whimp genres lol metal is heavyest and best 4 life
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
I must admi, I listen to etal probably 95% of the time, but now and then, I'll listen to stuff I'd almost be embarrased to say, like.uhhhhh...level 42 (agh), suzanne Vega (agh), James Brown and I could go on. It's normally when I have a banging headache or just need an antidote to metal, but I always return to my 'sense' fairly quickly.

One thing though, if you wanna be a really good metal guitarist, you should actually try and learn as many styles as you can, look at Zakk Wylde for example, his biggest influence is the Eagles!

Phil
I love metal, but i listen to other kinds of music ranging from classic rock to jazz and blues. I even have studied flamenco style before. As a musician i like to keep an open mind to music and learn different style.

What gets me is these "metal heads" that seem to be more into the whole scene rather than the music. I'll go to a concert and they will be yelling "Br00tal Metalz!!1!" and moshing and acting like a badass, yet if you talk to them about music they don't know anything. None of the band members, barley any of the lyrics or sometimes even follow the band. Iron Maiden is my favorite band and these same Metal heads will argue with me saying Iron Maiden is not "true metal!!" or not "brutal enough!!". I think it's hilarious.
I listen to everything except rap although celtic music and heavy metal are my favorite styles.
Last edited by bagpipemetal at Jan 4, 2010,
I think I listen to more non metal than metal currently. That's mainly made up of Folk, classical and post rock.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I only listen to shitty German thrash.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by freddaahh
I think I listen to more non metal than metal currently. That's mainly made up of Folk, classical and post rock.

I've started listening to post rock/metal as well. Oceanic by Isis is slowly opening up for me, I love how hypnotizing it is. Also, do you know Russian Circles? I've listened to Enter and Station about three times each and I'm already thinking that they just might be the best rock band to roam the earth.

Quote by eazy-c
I only listen to shitty German thrash.

So, this was a stab at KreatorRage, right? That's alright, I couldn't care less... but by Satan, I hope you didn't mean to insult Kreator!!

...would you love me?
I don't know Russian Circles. I'll look them up. My favourite Post Rock bands are This Will Destroy You, A Silver Mount Zion, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Explosions in Sky, Mogwai. Oh, and for Post Metal, there's Jesu, Alcest and some Agalloch.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Hm, I think I'll try some of those. You like 'em, so I figure they're worth hearing.

go to your profile NAO

...would you love me?
Metal listens to me.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I listen to Thrash Metal, NWOBHM, Hard Rock, Blues, small bit of Industrial Metal, Nu Metal, Melodic Death Metal, Rock N' Roll (well, Motorhead ), bit of Speed Metal, bit of Funk, and Punk.

I'm not one of those stereotypical metal guys though. Most people are suprised when I tell them my music taste. I listen to a tiny bit of classical aswell.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

I dont stray too far out of metal, I stay mainly in the metal/hard rock range of music.... some hard rock kinda stuff is foo fighters, kiss, ACDC, led zeppelin.... But then i could go into a massive u-turn and listen to children of bodum and lamb of god, Its just what i enjoy listening to really, and you shouldnt let other people tell you that what your listening to is 'crap' because if you like it, then noone else matters
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp

Well I also listen to soundtracks, orchestral music (like Two Steps From Hell), some classical, some hard rock.
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Well I really thought I'd be surrounded by kvlt tr00 fans around here, but that's just not the case here, is it?! I mean 5 out of 64 only? Come on!

Ok all of us need a change from "br00talz" metal time and again.. But that's where Doom Metal comes.. kinda.. For example, The Fall of Every Season. Not all the time heavy, yet metal. That's my escape route from "extreme" metal..

And yeah, there's the occasional Rammstein I listen to.. but TS has given the option for a few hard rock songs there..

I'm not saying people should look at Doom Metal for getting the lighter side of metal. I'm just saying that it's where I go for the "lighter" side of metal..
Wann kann ich dich von diesem Ort wegbringen?
Wann ist der Tod unser einziger Zuschauer?
Wann können wir schreien anstatt zu flüstern?
Wann ist der neue Anfang das Ende dieses traurigen Madrigals?
Last edited by RAH7747 at Jan 4, 2010,
i listen to more metal than non - metal but i reguarly listen to soft rock, indie music (not much) and electronic music (jean micheal jarre) when im not in the mood for metal. still about 70-80% of the time it is hard rock / most metal sub genres

I still haven't any clue what the fuck that stuff is supposed to be. Music by lunar Nazis, or what?

...would you love me?
Quote by RAH7747
Well I really thought I'd be surrounded by kvlt tr00 fans around here, but that's just not the case here, is it?! I mean 5 out of 64 only? Come on!

Ok all of us need a change from "br00talz" metal time and again.. But that's where Doom Metal comes.. kinda.. For example, The Fall of Every Season. Not all the time heavy, yet metal. That's my escape route from "extreme" metal..

And yeah, there's the occasional Rammstein I listen to.. but TS has given the option for a few hard rock songs there..

I'm not saying people should look at Doom Metal for getting the lighter side of metal. I'm just saying that it's where I go for the "lighter" side of metal..

Don't worry, everyone is well aware of the variety of sound in metal.
Page 1 of 2