hey i still dont know the reason as why people have an OD808 on gain 0 level 10 and tone as preference...what does it do? and what is a sonic maximiser?
An overdrive at 10 gives a 'clean boost' (or close to it) which pushes the preamp tubes in a valve amp harder, which sounds like it adds gain, and also tightens up bass. Its basically like pushing the gain to 11.
Quote by Lance_Pants
so its just to define the tone? is it worth using one in a valvestate amp?
No, the effects people get by using an OD on a tube amp don't work with transistors.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by Lance_Pants
oh ok thanks boys, just one more ask, what does a sonic maximiser do?
It's kinda like an EQ mixed with a little black magic. They work wonder on some amps, not so much on others. Definitely a 'try-before-you-buy' kinda thing.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
The 482i Sonic Maximizer restores an audio signals natural brilliance and clarity by the use of two primary functions. First it adjusts a signal’s phase relationships between it’s low, mid and high frequencies while progressively adding longer delay times to lower frequencies, this creates a kind of “mirror curve created by the speaker neutralizing its phase distortion. Secondly the Sonic Maximizer augments higher and lower frequencies; loudspeakers tend to be less efficient in their extreme treble and bass ranges. The end result is a dynamic program-driven restoration without the ear fatigue that is normally experienced with the use of equalizers or exciters.
Quote by Marty Friedman