So I have been playing guitar for about 8 months and I don't feel like i am getting any better at it. Ive been taking lessons and my teacher just tells me to learn chords.
please tell some ways to get better?
I think at that point, or a tad later, I learned a fairly easy solo (Highway to Hell, AC/DC) from watching a guy play it on YouTube. It taught me basic tricks for playing solos or just cool riffs, making me better at the time. Maybe that would be a good idea, good luck.
Have you tried learning tabs using Guitar Pro? I'd say this would help with timing and would save you referring back to the actual song when using a text tab, seeing as it plays it for you. However this does depend on the accuracy of the tab.
Quote by 7revor
I think at that point, or a tad later, I learned a fairly easy solo (Highway to Hell, AC/DC) from watching a guy play it on YouTube. It taught me basic tricks for playing solos or just cool riffs, making me better at the time. Maybe that would be a good idea, good luck.

thanks but recommend any solos because I'm not a big fan of acdc
At your stage in playing, I learned 'them bones' by alice in chains.

Some guitar teachers hold you back by telling you to keep learning scales and/or chords. I never had a teacher and as a result, I can play better and faster than people who started before me with teachers. This is because I had my own motivation and ideas. Only thing now, is that I don't know many chords or scales though I am a very able guitar player and I make do with making up my own scales a la marty friedman. However most people do need guitar teachers to show them the way at first, but there will come a point at which people will want to do their own thing. Personally, I can't think of anything I'd like to write using basic patterns or scales that my friends have been taught. I might start of with a chord, arpeggiate it, and then add notes and bends to get a nice sounding pattern.
You will have made more progress than you think, I don't think anybody is ever really happy with their playing
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.