When I press any string from any fret very, very lightly, as lightly as possible to get a sound, I get the correct tune. However, when I press it with a little pressure, without bending the string at all, it sounds like I'd have bended the string, the tune is higher than it should. Then more I press the string, the more it sounds like I'd bend it even though i keep it completely straight.

I don't know anything about guitars so is this normal? What should i do? Because normally when I press the string while playing the tune goes higher than it should.

I noticed this after I changed from 0.9 gauge strings to 0.11, but I don't know did it happen with the old strings. I didn't adjust anything, I just changed the strings. I think the gap between the strings and guitar neck is still fine so I didn't adjust the truss rod.

My guitar is Yamaha Pacifica 112V
There's nothing wrong, it's just the height of the frets and you pressing down too hard. You put tension on the string and the pitch changes, just like a bend.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunatly, it kills all of its pupils.
Sounds like your intonation is out. This can be sorted quite easily.

Firstly, tune your guitar as normal.

Next, using a guitar tuner, play 12 fret on the low E string. The note should register as a perfect octave. However, it is likely to register as sharp going by the description of your problem. This means the distance between your nut and your bridge saddles is slightly too short. So all you have to do it make it longer. Using a screw driver turn the screw at the bottom of your bridge for the corresponding string. The bridge saddle should moveback a little and you will need to tune the string back to the correct pitch.

Play 12th fret again and see if it now a perfect octave. It's trial and error getting it to this stage but it's fairly quick to do.

Repeat this procress on the other 5 strings and it should sort your problem.

On the other hand you may just have a heavy touch, but I'd say it's worth checking the intonation anyway.
Last edited by whitemanwalking at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by richard_edwards
There's nothing wrong, it's just the height of the frets and you pressing down too hard. You put tension on the string and the pitch changes, just like a bend.

This.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Ok thanks, I will check the intonation but I guess I've been just pressing the strings too hard.
Action?
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.