hows it going,

iv searched but can't find anything to resolve my issue

im posting on behalf of our bassist,

we tune to Bb F Bb D# G C

with our basist playing his 5 string tuned Bb F Bb D# G

however because usually a 5 string is tuned B E A D G, the low string is loud and floppy where as the rest of them are tight and dont cut through

he is considering if he can find the right gauges of string and tune his 4 string
Bb F Bb D#

but he needs an even tension across all strings,

any ideas of string gauges, and would he possibly have to adjust his nut to accomodate the thicker gauge?

many thanks
Spear Gladius II
Squire Standard Stratocaster LTD ED c/w hotrails
Squire Deluxe Strat c/w Hotrails
Dean Baby V
Tanglewood Acoustic
Bugera 333 Head
Laney Cab Vintage 30's
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2
Boss MT-2 (modified)
Marshall Jackhammer
To tune a 4 string that low would probably require a new nut and a truss rod adjustment, so basically a whole new setup. It would make more sense for him to keep on using the 5 string and get a higher gauge B so that its a bit tighter. Perhaps even check out flatwounds as they have naturally higher tension. Are you sure the cutting through issue is related to the strings and not the EQ?
the strings of the five strin E A D G

are all getting tuned up which makes them tighter and doesnt cut through,, it looses that bass sound and sounds like a guitar
Spear Gladius II
Squire Standard Stratocaster LTD ED c/w hotrails
Squire Deluxe Strat c/w Hotrails
Dean Baby V
Tanglewood Acoustic
Bugera 333 Head
Laney Cab Vintage 30's
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2
Boss MT-2 (modified)
Marshall Jackhammer
in my band i have an ibanezx edb605
and i was in the same tuning and lower (g#) at one point

i use rotosound 66 long scale 135-45!
great for the tuning

just tuning the bass to a standard 5string and adjust the tuning accordingly
just tune down for the A# and up on the other strings - F A# D# C etc

with a basic setup your neck can hold it no problem!
First of all, the B string is floppy, that's a fact. If you tune it down it's going to get more floppy, that's a fact. The string is only cycling 30 or so times per second, that's slow, no string gauge or scale increase is going to fix that. When you tune a string up from it's norm, it's going to get tighter, and when you tune it down it will get looser, there's no question about it. Honestly though, a half step in either direction shouldn't do much for the sound. If you're having problems with the sound it might be improper EQing habits. If you want the most consistent tension throughout the strings, you'll have to go with a custom gauge set, probably something with a .135 B string (.005 more than standard) and then with a .100 E, .080 A, .060 D and a .040 G (.005 less than standard on each). That'll probably get you to within the closest you'll ever get to even tension.
i heard somewhere that for every semitone you tune down you should increase the gauge by .005 and vise-versa to keep the same tension
no sir away a papaya war is on
Pretty much every B string on the planet is kinda floppy. I mean, mine is tuned to G [2 whole steps down] and i can still play plenty well on it. I can only imagine how it would be on B. So I would just try heavier gauge strings.. That's about all I can think of.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Quote by CEREBRAL-INFERN
the strings of the five strin E A D G

are all getting tuned up which makes them tighter and doesnt cut through,, it looses that bass sound and sounds like a guitar

If his bass 'doesn't sound like a bass' to you/him then he needs to learn to eq.
Or needs a better amp.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
No, you tune them down, not up.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright