Hey, ive been playing acoustic guitar for around 7 years and am now looking into electric. My focus will be heavy rock, rock, blues, alot of john mayer songs. My budget is for the guitar and amp, i want a quality one that will sound good and last me a while.
I was thinking of a strat/les paul with a line 6 but have no idea. If you could gimme some ideas on wht would be good would be awesome (Y) =)
i never say this straight out but you're probably going to want a tube amp.

not sure which amp you are looking at, but dont go with a modeling variety.

spend as much on the amp as you do the guitar.

And

remember, get an amp that suits your needs.

are you in a band? do you plan on playing out with it?

as for guitar, sorry but a strat is the opposite in feel to an lp.

you're used to playing acoustics. you need to find a guitar that you can feel comfortable playing. has to be a good size and feel.

you'll probably want some single coil pickups in there. yes a strat would make sense, but you'll need to pick a few up before you decide.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 4, 2010,
im not in a band although i do jam with 1-2 of my friends. i messed around with a strat in a store and it seemed good but didnt wanna rush into it. i was looking at the spider 1V 75. One of my friends told me not to buy a squier but many people use that so any thoughts on that?
get a tub e amp

squiers are good, spiders are not (their ok but not good)
don't buy the spider.

it's got a fuzzy, digital, high gain noise sound.

it's the opposite tone you're looking for.

i thought you had $1,500? why are you shopping for squiers and spiders?

if you want john mayer on a medium budget, then look at a blues jr, and a mim Hss strat, with an od for heavier stuff.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

lol thats why im posting, ive know clue of whts good/not. I know john uses a fender strat so i was leaning towards that. for the amp i dont really care about drive but the options to change the sound, with blues/rock/reverb/echo in mind
Quote by Team17_Bill
lol thats why im posting, ive know clue of whts good/not. I know john uses a fender strat so i was leaning towards that. for the amp i dont really care about drive but the options to change the sound, with blues/rock/reverb/echo in mind

i see what you're saying, but if you get a get a good tube amp, it'll sound "chimey" and crisp when it's clean, and it'll growl an od nice and slow, just when you want it to.

it'll blow you away.

not saying that a blues jr is top of the line. it's an introduction into the land of tube.

but it's got reverb, and a fat boost.

if you really feel you need an echo after you own it, or even something like it, then add a pedal later.

starter modeling amps like VOX ad series are pretty good for a variety of tones.
it'll nail the clean ones you're after, well enough.

just don't get an expensive 60 watt one. by the time you need that kind of volume, you will have outgrown it.

if you want a "practice" amp. 30 watt solid state is fine. just don't push the volume too high, like to get over a drummer, or it'll lose its ability to recreate its best tone.

with a tube amp, the louder it gets, usually the better. so you really don't need as many watts for many player practice situations.

ok, so what's your ideal budget? if not $1500? is it more like $500?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 4, 2010,
go for a Fender standard strat and hot rod deluxe tube amp then grab a tubescreamer for a boost
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
i have $1500 but from experience i know high price doesnt mean high quality so thats why i was messing with the squiers to see wht they sound like. yea your right i dont need a loud one but i want it to sound good. If youve heard john mayer - crossroads (cover of the original) i want those effects =)