Hi, I recently got really into recording music on my PC and this is my first full song that I properly recorded. The guitar parts are all played and written by me and the drum track is written by me but since I don't have a drum kit I just recorded it from Guitar Pro 5. There is no vocals or bass unfortunately since I'm not much into lyric writing and I also don't have a bass to record with. I've been playing guitar for about 8-9 months now.

You can find the song on my profile

Please listen to the song and tell me what you think and suggest what I could add and things, I know the solo is a bit sloppy but I just got into scales so it's the best I could do.

Thanks,
Kacper

P.S. I'm lookin for name suggestions for the song.
I have a few questions first... What do you think of your song? Have you ever played in a band?
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Ummm....I think it's OK, I have to say I'm quite happy with it tbh, but I think the transitions between fast and slow bits need some work. I just started playing in a band about a week ago (when I say band I mean a drummer lol) but he had no input in this song as he only likes doing covers so....
first of thanks for the comment!!!!
now down to business, personally i think there is definitly potential there! the 'verses'...chordy bits, feel a bit to messy and i cant tell if something is happening at the same time or not (mainly the first one).... the other things are timing... and the wah bit at the end (it either needs work or missing out)... but it could definitly work!!!!

sorry if i was a bit blunt... i really shouldnt comment on peoples stuff......
Quote by nibbler_jr
first of thanks for the comment!!!!
now down to business, personally i think there is definitly potential there! the 'verses'...chordy bits, feel a bit to messy and i cant tell if something is happening at the same time or not (mainly the first one).... the other things are timing... and the wah bit at the end (it either needs work or missing out)... but it could definitly work!!!!

sorry if i was a bit blunt... i really shouldnt comment on peoples stuff......

By chordy bits, you mean the bits with the drums? I'm actually considering re-recording the whole song because of the stupid timing which I didn't think of before starting on this, I just kinda recorded some bits and then put them together.

Thanks for the reply btw
definitely a good starting point. id say that the transitions between distorted and clean are a little clumsy, like at ~ :58, 1:16

also, if you're able to pan the tracks left and right, i would consider double tracking the rhythm guitar, and panning one hard left, and the other hard right. i think that would bring this to life a bit and give a fuller sound.
also, depending on what interface you are using, there may be a pitch shifter effect that will allow you to raise/lower the pitch of something you have recorded. if you are desperate for a bass guitar part, you can record a clean guitar and then shift the pitch down an octave. it doesnt sound the best, but it works, thats what i do.

nice effect on the lead part at the end. i think the drums could be touched up quite a bit as well. for your first recorded song this is very good, keep recording and practicing and you will be amazed with how much you can improve. good luck man
Well, first of all, you should be proud to have written a song so early, it's pretty hard and takes a lot of work, I didn't get into songwriting until sometime after a year of playing. The song itself though has some problems and most of them are perfectly understandable, mostly 'cause they come from your short time playing guitar, with your still beginner technique and perception.

- Most of the parts seem to have been written to sound like something way cool, but due to your technique it sounds different, probably worse, than planned. The wah part, for example, and the beginning, when you seem to lose the timing a litttle bit with the drums.

- The drums sound pretty bad, not because it's a .mid file, but you wrote it very weird. The experience you'll get with playing with this drummer of yours will really help you out to think/write drum parts.

- The parts of the song don't really work together. Listening to it, it feels like you took some individual riffs you've written so far and tried to make them into a whole song. I try to do this sometimes, and most of the times it doesnt work. Not to say that weird transitions are bad, not at all, but the parts and the changes really don't work together.

So to work with the song I would really tear it to apart to different parts. I'd get each one at a time and try to write new, slightly more coherent parts to it. Try to listen to part and the emotion it evokes, and go from there. Don't be afraid to use instinct, you can write a lot from just playing a part over and over and improvising something after. You'll end up with something good. I would also persist and show the song to your drummer, ask for advice in writing the drum parts, and try jamming with him. Tell him original work is the to go!

Listen to your favourite bands and chose one that you think that inspired the song the most. Learn some of their songs and try to notice the little things that make a song, theirs. The more you learn about your heroes songs, the more ideas you'll have to put on your own material. We never create anything absolutely new in art, we just tear the best and try to make something else with the pieces.

To me, the most important thing in the songwriter is good taste and perception, and you only get this stuff by listening to the greats and discovering why they are great. The songwriter must be prepared to tell if the riff he just improvised is gold or shit.

Damn, long post! I hope that helps somehow, and I meant it that you should be proud to have written and recorded a song so early. For further help, maybe you can tell us a band that you think relates to the song and maybe we can show some stuff you can try on your stuff.

Good luck and cheers mate
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!