i have ibanez grg170dx and marshall dsl 401 (tube amp).

how do i get Tom Delonge sound?

he used Mesa boogie Triple rectifier mixed with marshall jcm 900
but now he uses fender deluxe reverbs mixed with vox ac30h2 (i think he uses vox for distortion))

http://www.uberproaudio.com/content/view/422/38/

should i buy a pedal that emulates mesa rectifier or some kind of different pedal?
Last edited by scream92 at Jan 4, 2010,
Toms sound is kinda simple really. How close do you wanna get? Because with Blink it's generally better to use his sound as a jump off point and go from there.

Bridge pickup, high treble, mids around 4, bass around 3 play quite hard. Should get you pretty damn close, IIRC.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I really wish i could get that tone. Ive played through a triple rec with my tele and its modern channel is metal. You basically need exactly what he uses in order to replicate it. Nothing else is gonna do. Right down to an SD Invader in the bridge and a rosewood fretboard strat. You need the two amps to get that super super fat sound.
start saving. . . like me
Quote by SimplyBen
Toms sound is kinda simple really. How close do you wanna get? Because with Blink it's generally better to use his sound as a jump off point and go from there.

Bridge pickup, high treble, mids around 4, bass around 3 play quite hard. Should get you pretty damn close, IIRC.

thanks man! i will try these settings out. but how high should i put treble?? and i want to get really close to his sound.
i guess its very expensive though/
i wish i had a mesa recto. lol
Last edited by scream92 at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by seanchief2112
I really wish i could get that tone. Ive played through a triple rec with my tele and its modern channel is metal. You basically need exactly what he uses in order to replicate it. Nothing else is gonna do. Right down to an SD Invader in the bridge and a rosewood fretboard strat. You need the two amps to get that super super fat sound.
start saving. . . like me

oh, i think you should be really close with mesa. and i guess you need an SD INVADER OR GIBSON DIRTY FINGERS PICKUP to get closer.
yeah i should get a strat with INVADER.

right now i have ibanez gio and i want to get a higher output pickup like invader, but i dont know yet...
and yeah i guess he mixes 2 amps together to get that fat, thick sound.

thank you!
Also the higher output SD pickups have pretty terrible clean tones. Well not really any clean tone lol. Ive got Hot Rails and its only effective with distortion
Quote by scream92
thanks man! i will try these settings out. but how high should i put treble?? and i want to get really close to his sound.
i guess its very expensive though/
i wish i had a mesa recto. lol

I used to go to around 7 ish, Something like that anyway.
I wouldn't advise getting too far into Tom's tone with stuff like Invaders & Dirty Fingers (unless you get one of his sig guitars) Just because they aren't really all that good unless you have a butt load of gain on.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Use your bridge pickup. It may not be a duncan Invader, but it's a high output ceramic humbucker, so that's already on the right track.

Fairly high gain, say, 7/10. Not sure how far you have to turn a DSL401 up to get that kind of sound, but it's well into the "distortion" area rather than natural overdrive. Set your Bass and Mids to 5, Treble to around 7. Decrease the presense slightly if it sounds too bright and has too much string noise.
That should be a starting point. Adjust the EQ to taste, but keep the treble up fairly high to ensure the tone has enough "cut".
Don't forget about the V30's....
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
thank you very much!
what should i change next?? guitar or amp? i think i should buy a new guitar first...ya know higher quality guitar, maybe a fender or some kind of les paul.

can i get a similar sound with this pedal :(its like a dual rectifier emulation pedal) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBfhgl6JAr4&feature=related

or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIf4yusIKSg

this looks nice but its like high gain. do you think its good for blink 182??
to get tom delonge tone and distortion effects, mod your fender standard strat with a modified pickguard, replace the original 3 pickups with a Semour Duncan invader, which usually go for around $149, as found in the Tom Delonge signiature strat. This pickup has distortion built into it, so even while you may be on a clean setting on your pedal, you will have a crunch-punk sound.
-kyle
GEAR
- 1998 fender stratocaster w/ custom paintjob
- Epiphone les paul custom
- Esteban Signature 100 w amplifier
- Custom hook up stereo amplifier
- Dean Signature V style bass
- Boss Overdrive Pedal
Tom didn't mix the Mesa with the Marshall.

He used the Marshall for his cleans and the Mesa for his dirties.
Mesa Rev. G Triple Rectifier
Mesa Series II Single Rectifier
Mesa Stage 1 Stiletto Deuce
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
"I love my guitar rig! I love the way it sounds and I use it for one main reason: I think it adds the two elements of guitar sound you need to make a big fat sound. I use a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier and a Marshall JCM900. Mesa Boogies can have all that bottom end and saturation of distortion but it doesn't have that string note tone that a Marshall has. And Marshall has a lot of string note tone but none of that overdriven bottom end. So when you mix the two tones I think it sounds incredible. What I do is put the JCM900 on its clean channel and turn the gain up to 10 and I also do the same with the dirty channel on the Mesa. So you kind of have two totally different unique sounds blended in together. I run that out of 3, Mesa Boogie 4x12's."

I'm not sure though if he mixes them live.
Last edited by WantsLesPaul at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by blink185
to get tom delonge tone and distortion effects, mod your fender standard strat with a modified pickguard, replace the original 3 pickups with a Semour Duncan invader, which usually go for around $149, as found in the Tom Delonge signiature strat. This pickup has distortion built into it, so even while you may be on a clean setting on your pedal, you will have a crunch-punk sound.
-kyle
No pickup has distortion "built into it" it's just a magnet with wire wrapped around it.

Also, if you are in the USA and paid $150 for an Invader then you've thrown away about $80 because it typically goes for half of that new, and even less used because they have such poor resale value (really because they're just not very good pickups).