Okay, so I'm a Dutch student in my second year, and next year I have to go abroad for about 5/6 months. I have a few places on my list I'd like to go to (my school picks where I'll go off of that list), and I also want an English university to add to it.

Now the course I do is relatively new (it's called International Communication & Media), so there aren't a lot of partner universities.

tl;dr
What is a better student town in the UK, Canterbury or Preston? Or neither? Why?

Thanks in advance,
Max

EDIT: Hatfield, Southampton and Swansea are also on there, but they looked not as good (or worse) than the above 2 options
Some of my gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom
Fender American Special Tele
Gibson ES-339
London City Strat copy
Other Strat copy
Taylor Big Baby (acoustic)
Ibanez SGT 130 (acoustic)

Trace 2x 12" guitar amp
Dime Distortion
Last edited by MXFNCK at Jan 4, 2010,
AFAIK neither are particularly renowned for their party atmosphere. Someone more local to the areas will know better however.
bloody hell you don't really have very good choices do you,
you really wanna go somewhere bigger or not crap, don't you have like manchester or newcastle or a south coast uni you could go to?
Of the two, Canterbury is probably better because of the University of Kent.

stratkat
You'd be better to try and head into the cities, othewise you'll end up in a dead end town. There are a ton in and around London, manchester, liverpool, leeds, birminham and places like that. Bristol is a nice one also.
If you're looking for student atmosphere then places like Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield and Manchester are good if you get a choice. Can't say I've heard much about Preston or Canterbury though.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Canterbury by a million miles, it's actually a pretty nice place to be fair. Preston on the other hand.... lol
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
I know nothing of universities but im going to say Bournemouth simply because i have a friend who goes there.

I can only warn you of one thing, you are Dutch, at an English University, you WILL be expected to have weed because of your nationality. Prepare yourself for this eventuality.
Godspeed
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.
Quote by cm261
Canterbury by a million miles, it's actually a pretty nice place to be fair. Preston on the other hand.... lol

pfft atleast preston isn't near kent
Canterbury by far, the rest are bad. Especially Swansea >_>
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Southampton's not that bad.

Out of the two proper options, Canterbury.
It's gonna be a blue day
Um, Preston in itself is fine, and it's closer to bigger cities like Manchester, Liverpool and Sheffield. Canterbury is only near to London, but it's not even that close. If you discount London, the North West and West Midlands are the best places to go in England to have a social life
Canterbury is pretty good if its the university of Kent. It has a great Campus life to make up for being in a small but not entirely lifeless city. It's also pretty easy to get to London by train.
Preston is in the grim nether regions up north of Luton. One daren't venture up there without theatrical nuclear weapons; for it is a wasteland so horrifying it makes Mad Max seem like a nursery school.

That is my valuable help, go to the one which is in the South, and yes, prepare yourself for an eternity of "mate, you sellin'?" "can I buy a Ten off you?" and "Dutch, eh?..... So... Got some weed?"
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Southampton is awesome, providing it's actually Southampton not Southampton Solant. My mates go there and I've visited a few times, had pretty good nights.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
From people I know, Hatfield is supposed to be fun. Other than that, Southampton and Preston are probably your best bets.
Go to Swansea man, you'll love it... I bet it's Swansea Institute too, which is more like a primary school than a university
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by freddaahh
Preston is in the grim nether regions up north of Luton. One daren't venture up there without theatrical nuclear weapons; for it is a wasteland so horrifying it makes Mad Max seem like a nursery school.

That is my valuable help, go to the one which is in the South, and yes, prepare yourself for an eternity of "mate, you sellin'?" "can I buy a Ten off you?" and "Dutch, eh?..... So... Got some weed?"

Ewwwwww.

Edit:
Quote by TEK34
From people I know, Hatfield is supposed to be fun. Other than that, Southampton and Preston are probably your best bets.

University of Hertfordshire you mean?
I have a friend who is in Hatfield, he's thoroughly enjoying it. And Southampton is pretty alright (so I've heard)
I would think they're better options that Preston or Canterbury.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Canterbury is a pretty nice place, used to live fairly near there. I'd go for the proper Southampton though, been on a night out there and it was pretty damn good. Come to Sheffield though if you can.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

wow. don't go to preston.

only go through it on buses to england and it looks ****ing grim.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Thanks y'all!

About Sheffield, A girl from my class is supposed to be going there, and there's only one spot there. From What I've heard, I think I'll be going with Canterbury.

And yes, I'll bring weed
Some of my gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom
Fender American Special Tele
Gibson ES-339
London City Strat copy
Other Strat copy
Taylor Big Baby (acoustic)
Ibanez SGT 130 (acoustic)

Trace 2x 12" guitar amp
Dime Distortion