I'm talking about when he slides his hand from his pickup up his neck, somehow creating a lot of different harmonics, I've seen a lot of guitarists do this too but I never really understood how it works. Pantera does it too in the A New Level intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77f8u7puTFc

Could anyone explain to me how this works? Or point me to a lesson somewhere?

Thanks!
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
alright, assuming you know what pinch harmonics (with the thumb) are: these are basically the same, only you play the string with the left hand. try doing a continuous 4-2-0 pullof on the g-string. then look for those harmonics with your right hand by slightly touching the string with your pinky
I believe that you very lightly touch the string as you drag up the neck and pick, causing harmonics.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
I think you just get a pick & tap or rub the edge of pick on the high e string from the bridge all the way to the 1st fret. Some notes are harmonics but its also just diffrent pitches depending on where you tap the string

Or here it is worded diffrently:
Tremolo effect done by rapidly rubbing the edge of the pick against a string while simultaneously performing a slow pick scrape
A good song should make you wanna tap your foot and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I'm only interested in writing great songs.
Last edited by Xanron at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by ErnestoFidel
guys you dont use a pick for this

uhh. Yes you do.
A good song should make you wanna tap your foot and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I'm only interested in writing great songs.
You can do this either with a pick or your hand. You just do h4p2p0 repeatedly on one string with your left hand, and then slide your hand or pick down the string. Since you've got 3 different shots at hitting a harmonic in each location, you hit tons of them and it sounds cool.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Trill two notes with your fret-hand on a string (The G seems to work pretty well for picking up the harmonics) and take the side of your palm and run it lightly across the strings creating harmonics as you slide you palm up and down the strings and neck