Now i was hesitant on where to post this but seeing as its a question on gear and software i picked this forum. I'm trying to record myself playing, just making mp3s. I have a squire fat strat and a fender junior amp that is hooked up to my laptops mic input. I'm using freebie recording software and a clean setting on my amp but i am getting truckloads of feedback on the recording. nothing seems to make it sound clear. is it just because i have a low quality amp? i mean i think i will just record with my iPhone lol.....

Sing me a new song
A broken song of redemption and regret
Sing me a new song
And beg for all the mercy you can get
-----------
Guitars:
Martin D-1
Squier Fat Stratocaster
Gear:
Boss ME-25
Fender Junior G-DEC Amp
iPhone4
Hooking directly to a mic input like that won't exactly give you the best quality either.

Your best bet is to get some sort of recording interface that hooks up to a USB or Firewire port. Even if you use the freebie software, it'll likely sound much better.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Recording directly into a PC via mic input will almost always yield bad results.

You'd be better off using a cheap MFX unit and USB to PC and use your amp as your monitor.

This is a good read too:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1176864

and the Recordings and Riffs forum.
Alright i shall check all that out. Thanks mate!

And i will search for a USB thingy. Under $15 I hope?

Sing me a new song
A broken song of redemption and regret
Sing me a new song
And beg for all the mercy you can get
-----------
Guitars:
Martin D-1
Squier Fat Stratocaster
Gear:
Boss ME-25
Fender Junior G-DEC Amp
iPhone4
psh, I've been doing home recording for many years and have never bought a USB interface or any of that. if you don't want to buy one, just get a semi-decent line in mic along with a free copy of REAPER.
I've heard some cool ambient black metal recorded with a computers microphone input. If that isn't what your doing then you probably want to get a decent sound card with a couple of 1/4 inch inputs. You would be able to have a standard instrument mic and a condenser and would be able to, with some practice, record some very nice tracks, and would be a bit closer to recording entire bands in the future.

Or you could just go DI
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Recording directly into a PC via mic input will almost always yield bad results.

You'd be better off using a cheap MFX unit and USB to PC and use your amp as your monitor.

This is a good read too:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1176864

and the Recordings and Riffs forum.

This is true, if your going guitar direct in to the mic port. I record using my Valvekings preamp(FX loop) and go direct in to my MIC IN and I have great recording quality.

If your amp has a FX loop then you can do what I do, and still get great quality recording, but you will get much better quality using an interface.
How do you record vocals and guitar onto a computer? I'm singing through a Roland Cube Street and playing an un-mic'd acoustic. Thanks!
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by ethan_hanus
This is true, if your going guitar direct in to the mic port. I record using my Valvekings preamp(FX loop) and go direct in to my MIC IN and I have great recording quality.

If your amp has a FX loop then you can do what I do, and still get great quality recording, but you will get much better quality using an interface.

I guess I didn't realize you were doing it quite that way and yes you have good recordings so...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I guess I didn't realize you were doing it quite that way and yes you have good recordings so...

Lol, I guess it also helps that I have a Asus G71 laptop which has an amazing graphics and sound card, much better than what is found in most computers.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah, I use a Pod Studio UX1. I can either plug guitar directly into it or I can mic my amp with a microphone. Then, a $5 USB cable to PC.

This is probably the easiest and best solution recommended thus far if your sound card is lacking. It isn't the cheapest way to go but with that said, you could always spend a crap load more for very little improvement over it. They have many options in this line of Line 6 products so the best thing to do is to research them on their website and then check out prices on Musician's Friend for prices and comparisons. Good Luck!