While playing I noticed that when I play on my guitarr, bending the high E string is harder than my friends guitar. It feels that my guitars string is about to snap when I bend more than a half step, it's so scary because I hate restringing a tremolo, how come I can like, bend easier with less force and bend higher on his guitar and not mine ?!

I got an Ibanez RG350mdx, he has another RG model without the trem I think
do you have higher gauge strings. The thiner the string the easier it is to bend.
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
either the tuning or the string gauge may be different.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
String Gauge=Most Likely

Tuning=Next most likely (I'm assuming you're in standard, ask if he is not)

Higher Action=This shouldn't make too much difference, but if your action is higher than his, it make be slightly harder to bend.
Normally, I would say the scale is different, but it's not in this case. He probably has 10s while you have 9s. But I've played guitars that seem to bend really easy/hard regardless of gauge or scale. Weird phenomenon.

^ For me, higher action is easier to bend
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Last edited by bingeandletgo at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by bingeandletgo
Normally, I would say the scale is different, but it's not in this case. He probably has 10s while you have 9s. But I've played guitars that seem to bend really easy/hard regardless of gauge or scale. Weird phenomenon.

^ For me, higher action is easier to bend

I'd have thought the other way round...?

Well I play in standard, not sure what gauge tho... But I mean come on, I've gotta bend at least a whole step before feeling that the string is going to brake? I also find it extremly difficult to bend the 22th fret on high E, the note dies before I've bended like a quarter step lol . Is it technique or guitar related?
Some guitars really suck for sustaining notes but generally technique is the issue. That's where a lot of your best sustain comes from. I'd consider just working on bends in isolation for at least 5 or 10 minutes each time you practice and pay close attention to what may be causing the problem.

Also if a string feels like it could easily break I'd up the string guage. I currently have a set of 9's but prefer and will eventually switch to 10's.
Thx for the replies, I'll talk to the guitar tech, I don't think my technique is THAT bad... Which fingers do you guys use when bending? I try to use the pinky and all the other fingers as support, but I think I got very big hands which make me feel like that my supporting fingers are to big ... should i skip the pinky and use the ring finger ?
Quote by pjuckazz
Thx for the replies, I'll talk to the guitar tech, I don't think my technique is THAT bad... Which fingers do you guys use when bending? I try to use the pinky and all the other fingers as support, but I think I got very big hands which make me feel like that my supporting fingers are to big ... should i skip the pinky and use the ring finger ?

Using your pinky is fine, but it can do no harm to practice bending with your ring finger and middel finger aswell. In the early years of me playing I was also afraid of breaking the high from bending, but that might be because your not comfortable bending yet. It may seem like a huge force your putting on the string but your probably fine bending it up a whole note, I have never broken a string bending yet they can take some violence really.

Ther problem with the high notes fading away is a famileir one. I used to have that on my fender strat MIM, and all it takes is good guitar tech to fix it.
Quote by DavidBenyamin
Using your pinky is fine, but it can do no harm to practice bending with your ring finger and middel finger aswell. In the early years of me playing I was also afraid of breaking the high from bending, but that might be because your not comfortable bending yet. It may seem like a huge force your putting on the string but your probably fine bending it up a whole note, I have never broken a string bending yet they can take some violence really.

Ther problem with the high notes fading away is a famileir one. I used to have that on my fender strat MIM, and all it takes is good guitar tech to fix it.

Really? thx for the reply, I hate that disturbing feeling when it feels like the string is gonna snap anytime... ^^
You can use any finger to bend, which ever seems most appropriate for what you're playing (so you don't need to do weird shifts to bend).
Usually I use my ring with the 2 supporter fingers for out of the blue bent notes, when I have ample time for shifting. Second most used is my pinky, usually used after I play a run and bend up and end with it. It's whatever you want, but remember to practice with all of them.

About string snapping, I remember when I first learned guitar. I thought plucking the strings hard would break them, and high bends would too. I remember seeing Jani Liimatainen holding his guitar up by his strings, and thought for a while that was really bad. But then I realized guitar strings are really strong if you have good quality strings and stopped being so paranoid.
Last edited by tenfold at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by EL2T
I'd have thought the other way round...?

My bad
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.