I have been watching videos of some guitarists namely Matthew Bellamy and I see him play single notes as if he is playing chords. By that I mean he will bring his arm like a foot away from the guitar and then swing down and hit a single note. Is he just really accurate or does he some how deaden the strings with his fretting hand. I habitually rest my hand on the bridge while i play, is that bad?
When I read the title, I instantly thought this would be something like "whammying without a whammy bar."

I usually try to mute the rest of the strings with my left hand when playing single notes in order to eliminate extra noise and allow myself to play like that.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
He is using his fretting hand to mute out the other strings, it's not too tricky once you get used to the concept, I often use my thumb to cancel out the low e string, also I kind of bar my pointer finger across the rest but use any of my other three fingers when I strike all the strings but only want one to ring

it looks kinda cool
little bit of sunshine
Last edited by M1K3A at Jan 4, 2010,
Using your left hand to mute the strings is a nice technique. Sometimes I'll even do it when playing a staccato bit. I often find it easier than using my right hand. I dunno if that's proper, but meh.... I'm learning...
Yeah, it's the same basic left hand technique as percussive/muted strumming.

Incidentally, I can't say I've listened to a lot of Muse, but he may be strumming all the strings when playing single notes - just muting those he's not fretting. SRV did this a lot, I believe, and it can be used to give single notes a little more "oomph" to them. I do it all the time. Like this:

e|--7--
B|--x--
G|--x--
D|--x--
A|-----
E|-----