Hello there GB&C i got a new guitar for christmas. A douglas Spad, and i got two EMG 81x's for it that have the new quik connect system thruout all the wiring.

When i got the guitar it had stock passive humbuckers in it that were coil split using a 5 way selector switch instead of just a 3 way for the 2 humbuckers. So when i went to put the EMG's in i wasnt sure of how to wire things. So i used the power of the internets to find out that a 5 way selector has 8 tabs on it. like in this picture:
http://www.rosepickups.com/5%20way%20switch%20wiring%20diagram.jpg

the one i have is the bottom left.

So the tabs are Bridge, Middle, Neck, Common, Common, Bridge, Middle, Neck

Now by the way it was wired previously i figured out that the 2 "commons" are wired together for your output. From there i had to figure out a way to get it to work with just a bridge pickup and a neck pickup that were not split. the way it was already wired, they had the first bridge and the middle soldered together and then on the other side had the middle and the neck soldered together.

So from there i took a small wire and connected one Bridge/Middle to the Bridge on the other side of the switch. And then did the same with the Neck and Neck/Middle on the other side. (i hope this is making sense.) then i took a wire and soldered it to the Bridge spot on the selector and went to the Bridge spot in the EMG buss. And the same for the Neck spot. The ground just came from the side of the physical selector to the ground spot in the EMG Buss.

I then finished wiring it up and plugged it up. Sure enough, it worked. Weird thing is...it sounds different in all 5 positions. The bridge and neck only positions sound just as i would imagine. As does the middle position. it sounds as if both humbuckers are completely on. however the in between positions (2 and 4) sound different than either of the other positions. Anyone have any idea how this could be?? Or what i may have done here? lol!

PICS:

one of these two should show the wiring. the thin red wire is connected the bridge/middle and bridge tab. and the thin black wire is connecting the neck/middle and neck tabs. the big black and red wires are the wires going to the bridge and neck spots in the EMG buss.

Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
so you gat the neck and bridge postion fine and the middle works too
but you also get the 2 and 4 to sound diferently i didnt think that was possiblw with emgs but if it works fine does it reallly matter
Yeah i didnt think it was possible either unless you had the 81tw or the 89. I was just wondering if anyone knew what i had done? did i coil split them somehow? or did i do something else?
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
ethan is right.

This is what EMG says:
The design of EMG active pickups doesn’t allow access to the individual coil outputs from the pickups. As such, it’s not possible to wire coil taps or pickup phase switches in the traditional manner. EMG does provide a number of alternative accesories to help you simulate some of these tone mods. To create the sound of a split coil pickup, you can either change to an EMG 81TW or 89 pickup which contain both a dual-coil humbucker and single-coil pickup selectable by a switch, or you can add the EMG DMSK Dual Mode Switch Kit which lets you customize a switchable high-pass filter to create a sound reminiscent of a single-coil pickup.
hmm. ok. maybe the difference in sound is all in my head. but i swear i can strum and then switch from position 3 to 2 and it sounds different. same when i go from 3 to 4. 1 and 5 are def only neck and only bridge tho. and 3 is def both of them. 2 and 4 just confuse me lol. but it works which surprises me as this is my first adventure into wiring anything without a set diagram on what i should be doing.
Rig:
hm actually i just checked again. i wired it backwards (on purpose) to where its bridge when the switch is all the way up (towards me) so... apparently its pos 1: bridge, pos 2:bridge, pos 3:both, pos 4:both, pos 5:neck.

the tone is the same on pos 1 and 2, and its the same on 3 and 4, and 5 is a different tone all its own. its really weird cause thats not what i expected it to be when i wired it. i expected it to be bridge, both both both, neck...wouldnt that make more sense?
Rig:
oh right, i didnt think i had a problem, just wondered if i had magically come across a way to coil split an EMG without meaning to lol. Plus anyone who wants to know how to make a 5 way switch work like a 3 way switch....there ya go.
Rig:
Quote by sk8freakrt
As does the middle position. it sounds as if both humbuckers are completely on. however the in between positions (2 and 4) sound different than either of the other positions. Anyone have any idea how this could be?? Or what i may have done here? lol!
Can't say for sure. Ibanez and a few other manufacturers use a special 5way switch for 2 HBs. This does not follow the same connectivity as a standard 5way meant for SSS, SSH, or HSH. I have no data on this switch other than the standard usage (rather complicated wiring with 4 wire HBs) results in:

Bridge only (coils in series)
Inner coil of each HB combined in parallel.
Both (series connected coils)HBs in parallel.
Neck only (coils in parallel)
Neck only (coils in series)

btw, the designation on the Ibanez switch of this type is 2502N.

The description of the wiring you did, would result in a standard 5way functioning like this:

Bridge
Both
Both
Both
Neck

But with your switch, I have no way of knowing what your results should be.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Can't say for sure. Ibanez and a few other manufacturers use a special 5way switch for 2 HBs. This does not follow the same connectivity as a standard 5way meant for SSS, SSH, or HSH. I have no data on this switch other than the standard usage (rather complicated wiring with 4 wire HBs) results in:

Bridge only (coils in series)
Inner coil of each HB combined in parallel.
Both (series connected coils)HBs in parallel.
Neck only (coils in parallel)
Neck only (coils in series)

Well that could explain my situation. But since i did it completely backwards mine would be

Neck only
Inner coils
Both
Bridge only (parallel)
Bridge only (series)

right?

That actually might be whats happening. which is interesting because that still shouldnt be possible with EMGs right? ...or is it?

i dont really think theres any way of knowing, but thats the whole reason i made this topic is to give me some ideas as to what i might have done. because it doesnt appear to be working like a regular 5 way should.

also...that link doesnt ever load for me modirnwarfare
Rig:
Quote by sk8freakrt
Well that could explain my situation. But since i did it completely backwards mine would be

Neck only
Inner coils
Both
Bridge only (parallel)
Bridge only (series)

right?

That actually might be whats happening. which is interesting because that still shouldnt be possible with EMGs right? ...or is it?

i dont really think theres any way of knowing, but thats the whole reason i made this topic is to give me some ideas as to what i might have done. because it doesnt appear to be working like a regular 5 way should.

he means that's what would happen when you wire it with 4-conductor humbuckers, not what should be happening with your wiring

the switching combination you listed can't be happening, because it's impossible.. maybe one of your positions puts the humbuckers out of phase.. maybe it puts them in series with eachother (instead of in parallel)..

if you like your current wiring and really want to know what it is, you can bust out the multimeter and see whats going on, but if you just want standard wiring, just buy a blade-style 3-way, and wire it for

neck
both
bridge

the white on green looks sexy, btw
Quote by sk8freakrt

Neck only
Inner coils
Both
Bridge only (parallel)
Bridge only (series)

right?

I dont think that is whats happening, because it isnt possible with EMG's, unless you do something like zakk posted. It probably is the same but fsr it just may sound different to you

Maybe what you could do is use a multimeter and test the resistance of each humbucker at each spot on the pickup selector. I have no idea how you would do this, maybe SYK could help, but it seems that doing that could tell you what each pup is doing at each position

Edit: dammit james, you just stole my multimeter idea I shouldve refreshed the page before I posted, I had it open for like 20 min...
Impossible is Nothing
Last edited by solomon684 at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by james4
he means that's what would happen when you wire it with 4-conductor humbuckers, not what should be happening with your wiring

the switching combination you listed can't be happening, because it's impossible.. maybe one of your positions puts the humbuckers out of phase.. maybe it puts them in series with eachother (instead of in parallel)..

if you like your current wiring and really want to know what it is, you can bust out the multimeter and see whats going on, but if you just want standard wiring, just buy a blade-style 3-way, and wire it for

neck
both
bridge

the white on green looks sexy, btw

i see, well im proud i managed to make it work so i guess ill leave it :P just wondering if i had done something miraculous but i guess not lol.

oh and thanks i thought so too, although i think the ivory colored EMG's mightve looked good too since the binding is more of a creme than white like i thought it was.
Rig:
well ive never played a regular 81 myself, but my Jr. has an 89 in it, which in humbucker mode is meant to sound like an 85. so thats my only comparison and i can tell you the 81x is def. louder overall, but has a much crisper tight sound than the 89 and alot more punch. i think its better even in the neck position than the 89 would be, its hi's are alot more pronounced and noticeable. I play in a metal/hardcore band. and i play stuff like MyChildren MyBride, Vanna, August Burns Red, Miss May I, this pickup is perfect for that type of stuff. Its got great bottom end too.

in short..
Great metal pickup, does hi's and lows very well, with great punch. Much better than my 89.
Rig: