Guitar: ESP LTD EC-1000
Has EMG actives. I'm switching to passive's
Mahogany Body/Neck (Rosewood Fretboard)

I'll make it a little easier as I've narrowed it down to a few pickup sets. Neck/Bridge

All pickups will be installed with Push/Pull for coil split

Duncans:
JB/Jazz or 59'
Custom SH-5/Jazz or 59'
Custom Custom SH-11/Jazz or 59'

Dimarzio:
Super Distortion/PAF Pro or Air Norton
Tone Zone/PAF Pro or Air Norton

IronGear:
Hot Slag/Rolling Mill

Motor City: (Can't Afford)
The Solutions (Wade's suggestion to replace EMG's)

Also can't afford other boutique pickups (Bareknuckle, WCR, Wolfetone, Etc..)

I'm gonna be playing Classic Rock/Hard Rock mostly as well as Metal such as Metallica/Megadeth up to Modern Metal (Killswitch Engage/Lamb of God/Mastodon/Sword/Etc..)

Which would you recommend? Also if you have suggestions other than what is listed I'd be interested in hearing those as well.
Last edited by CrackTheSkye at Jan 5, 2010,
JB and 59 (dave mustaine's sig) is a great combination for rock and metal. I have also used the super distortion and it is probably the most distorted sound you will ever get out of a passive. they are great too.

I also think that the JB get's better as you drop tune, so if you are into drop tunings the JB/59 may be the way to go.
Last edited by sammo_boi at Jan 4, 2010,
I don't want to sound like a sucker for boutique, but the MCPs will most likely be better than all the other mentioned. I have played MC Blackbelts and they're a very good, solid pickup.
Quote by sammo_boi
JB and 59 (dave mustaine's sig) is a great combination for rock and metal. I have also used the super distortion and it is probably the most distorted sound you will ever get out of a passive. they are great too.

I also think that the JB get's better as you drop tune, so if you are into drop tunings the JB/59 may be the way to go.

Yea most people recommend the JB/59 combo and that is probably at the top of my list at the moment.

Quote by al112987
I don't want to sound like a sucker for boutique, but the MCPs will most likely be better than all the other mentioned. I have played MC Blackbelts and they're a very good, solid pickup.

I'll agree that the MCP's will be better than others mentioned. What I don't know is if the solutions pickup is what I'm after. Wade just said it'd be a good EMG replacement. I don't like the EMG Sound so i don't know if he means that's what he has that's as close to a EMG or what.
I have a JB/Jazz combination in my Parker. Its a great set. Very versatile. Jazz cleans, country twang, slightly driven blues, tight crunch, and searing or smooth leads. They do all of those sounds very well but they're probably not the best at any of them. For the bands you listed you could probably find a set that is better suited
Sig What?
I also have a DX10D jackson with two 103B Duncan design humbuckers. I'm planning to upgrade them.

So I was trying to decide between :

- SH-5 custom

- SH-8 Invader

-SH-13 Dimbucker

these are all for the bridge positions ofcourse. I want a very modern sound and most def. no old school thrash sound. I'd like to get more like a eXodus (Atrocity of Exhibiton Exibit:A) or Evile (Enter the Grave) or Lamb of (God Ashes of The Wake) or Meshuggah (Obzen) kind of sound. I know they don't sound much like each other but I'm sure I can get close to that modern sound someway.
They dont have to be these pickups. The ones I've listed above are just the ones I've heard so far and liked...
Any suggestions?
Quote by CrackTheSkye
Yea most people recommend the JB/59 combo and that is probably at the top of my list at the moment.

I'll agree that the MCP's will be better than others mentioned. What I don't know is if the solutions pickup is what I'm after. Wade just said it'd be a good EMG replacement. I don't like the EMG Sound so i don't know if he means that's what he has that's as close to a EMG or what.
I would urge you to look into MC Blackbelts, or a similar kind of pickup like the Wolfetone Marshallhead, WCR Darkbursts or Bareknuckle Mules. They are all in that kind of, slightly overwound PAF camp of pickups and all in a similar price range w/ the WCRs probably being the priciest. I know that it may not seem like a lower output pickup is ideal for metal but I think you'll be surprised and may like the detail and clarity a lower output pickup yields in high gain situations. I also think that PAF style pickups have a ton more character than something along the lines of a Duncan JB. Just my personal opinion though, I have never really been big on high output pickups.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by Aunvre
I also have a DX10D jackson with two 103B Duncan design humbuckers. I'm planning to upgrade them.

So I was trying to decide between :

- SH-5 custom

- SH-8 Invader

-SH-13 Dimbucker

these are all for the bridge positions ofcourse. I want a very modern sound and most def. no old school thrash sound. I'd like to get more like a eXodus (Atrocity of Exhibiton Exibit:A) or Evile (Enter the Grave) or Lamb of (God Ashes of The Wake) or Meshuggah (Obzen) kind of sound. I know they don't sound much like each other but I'm sure I can get close to that modern sound someway.
They dont have to be these pickups. The ones I've listed above are just the ones I've heard so far and liked...
Any suggestions?

Get your own thread. Just kidding. I know that Willie Adler (Lamb of God) signature guitar has a JB/59' setup and Mark Morton uses 2x 59's. So I'd go with a 59 in the neck for sure. Not sure about the bridge
Quote by al112987
I would urge you to look into MC Blackbelts, or a similar kind of pickup like the Wolfetone Marshallhead, WCR Darkbursts or Bareknuckle Mules. They are all in that kind of, slightly overwound PAF camp of pickups and all in a similar price range w/ the WCRs probably being the priciest. I know that it may not seem like a lower output pickup is ideal for metal but I think you'll be surprised and may like the detail and clarity a lower output pickup yields in high gain situations. I also think that PAF style pickups have a ton more character than something along the lines of a Duncan JB. Just my personal opinion though, I have never really been big on high output pickups.

+1 on the PAF suggestion, check out RockMonkey pickups. Chris makes some really great sounding PAF copies.

http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/humbuckers.htm
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7575926
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7575905

kind of gives you an idea of how a PAF style pickup like a Marshallhead or Blackbelt hold up in high gain situations (you kind of have to wait until the end, he goes through several amps ranging from a JTM45 clone to Fender DRRI, to a modded plexi to Diezel Herbert)

The downside here is that the clips are a little bit overproduced, too much studio processing and it makes it rather difficult to distinguish between the pickups (but you can still hear that the MHs have a little more grunt and MCP BBs are a little thinner and have a bit more of an upper mid emphasis and seem to stay a little tighter in the low end with the whole Diezel's chugga chugga sound).

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7576874

And the JBs which has that kind of.... pins and needles kind of break up in the highs, which I personally dislike.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by Jak Archer
+1 on the PAF suggestion, check out RockMonkey pickups. Chris makes some really great sounding PAF copies.

http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/humbuckers.htm

I love a PAF sound and the trouble with the Boutique pickups are the price. $250+ for a set of pickups is more than I can handle right now. I really like boutique pickups but I can't afford them right now.

Quote by al112987
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7575926
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7575905

kind of gives you an idea of how a PAF style pickup like a Marshallhead or Blackbelt hold up in high gain situations (you kind of have to wait until the end, he goes through several amps ranging from a JTM45 clone to Fender DRRI, to a modded plexi to Diezel Herbert)

The downside here is that the clips are a little bit overproduced, too much studio processing and it makes it rather difficult to distinguish between the pickups (but you can still hear that the MHs have a little more grunt and MCP BBs are a little thinner and have a bit more of an upper mid emphasis and seem to stay a little tighter in the low end with the whole Diezel's chugga chugga sound).

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7576874

And the JBs which has that kind of.... pins and needles kind of break up in the highs, which I personally dislike.

I really like the Marshallheads as well as the Black Belt's but moreso the Wolfetones. But once again I can't afford them at this time. Maybe I'll hold off and save up or try to sell some things.
Last edited by CrackTheSkye at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by CrackTheSkye
Get your own thread. Just kidding. I know that Willie Adler (Lamb of God) signature guitar has a JB/59' setup and Mark Morton uses 2x 59's. So I'd go with a 59 in the neck for sure. Not sure about the bridge

I don't know. I've just heard the JB and 59 a bit but I didn't really like it. It's high alright but still not good enough... The real problem is the bridge I guess since I'll use the bridge much more than I use the neck...
If you want to go DiMarzio, pick up the Super 2 for the bridge and an Air Zone for the neck to balance out your guitar tonewood.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
If you want to go DiMarzio, pick up the Super 2 for the bridge and an Air Zone for the neck to balance out your guitar tonewood.

and what about evolution from dimarzio or X2N?
Quote by Aunvre
and what about evolution from dimarzio or X2N?

That was for CrackTheSkye

What amp are you using and what is your tonewood?

It'd be easier for you to start a thread.

Only get the X2N for a dark guitar... and if you want a Death tone.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
If you have the budget for the Motor City pickups, I'd definitely give those a shot (or maybe one of their other high output models).

If you want to stick w/DiMarzio or Duncan stuff, my vote goes to the JB/'59 for Duncans, or the Super Distortion/PAF Pro or Air Norton combo for DiMarzio(Air Norton for warmer tone, PAF for brighter). Avoid the Tone Zone in Mahogany though, it's a great pickup, but I strictly recommend it for brighter, bolt-on neck guitars, as it has massive low end and mids that really thicken up the tone of them. It would probably be on the muddy sounding side in Mahogany.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by ragingkitty
That was for CrackTheSkye

What amp are you using and what is your tonewood?

It'd be easier for you to start a thread.

Only get the X2N for a dark guitar... and if you want a Death tone.

Crate Palomino V50. Great cleans, overdrive not so much. But I'll be using Barber Dirty Bomb for high gain, Danelectro Drive CO-1 and WIIO for overdrive. I'll check out the Super2/Air Zone. Whats the differences between super 2 and super distortion?
Also the Air Zone is a Bridge pickup and the Super 2 is a Neck Pickup.

It would be easier for you to start a thread. Getting a little confusing.

As for the Motor City. I really like his pickups I just can't really afford them right now. I might save up for awhile and get those instead. I like the 2nd Degree Blackbelts. I also like the Wolfetone Marshallhead. I like the JB/59' setup as well as the Super Distortion/Air Norton. I guess it's down to which I can afford/find used easier.
Last edited by CrackTheSkye at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
if you have a good enough budget, get Bareknuckles

I don't lol
I would probably suggest saving up and buying Marshallheads then if that's what you want. You can get Bareknuckles for slightly cheaper ($240) but one thing I don't like about Bareknuckle's PAF style winds is that for some odd reason, they're wax potted. You can order direct from BKP and have them unpotted but it's going to cost more, and it's just my opinion, but wax potting really kills PAF style pickup. I've played both potted and unpotted Mules, and the unpotted Mules were very solid pickups, the potted ones were not really that impressive and for a long time made me wonder what the big deal about BKP was about on this site. The whole squealing thing is overrated. My Wolfetone PAF copies are unpotted and don't squeal and yet still retain that slightly microphonic, open airy character that results in those ringing harmonic overtones that you lose when you pot a pickup. Same with my Duncan Seth Lovers and Antiquities, none of them squeal.

Otherwise, Guitarforce also makes good PAF clones too. Look at their LOTB set. Members of the MLP forum get a special discounted price on them which puts them in the same price range as your standard run of the mill Duncans (and that imo, probably makes them the best value for any boutique pickup out there)
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 5, 2010,
I might end up just saving for boutique pups but who knows. I'm in no big hurry to change them plus I won't be getting any funds until later this month.
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
i have the ec1000 with the jb and 59... im pretty happy.

Got any video's/sound clips?

Also have you played any of the other pickups listed? If so your comparison to the Jb/59?
get the irongears. i have rolling mills in neck and bridge position of my Epiphone Les Paul. They sound just as good or even better than seymour duncans and dimarzios etc.
U could also check out the Irongear blues engine for neck. Its more PAFish than the Rolling mills.
I've heard many people saying the JB sounds ice picky and the 59' sounding a little mid scooped.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt