ok so I live in the SF bay area and we have a very temperate climate, humidity averages 60-75% year round, I keep my guitar in its case when I am not playing it

the big question is should I invest in a humidifier?
Yes.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
60 to 75% would mean you need to de-humidify your guitar, not humidify it - you should try and keep it between 40 and 50%. if you keep it in the case, you can probably sort something out more easily than de-humidifying your entire residence. while 60% won't harm a guitar for a short amount of time, it will cause the wood to swell long-term, and that can cause problems, and also means worse sound. high humidity can lead to issues including mold, the bridge lifting, belly bulge and more.
Last edited by patticake at Jan 4, 2010,
Yes they do. Just go to your local guitar store and ask.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
no they don't. they don't sell dehumidifiers in the store,never seen such a thing. as far as I know, when it comes to lowering the humidity you are pretty much s**t out of luck. there are some DIY methods out there such as using desiccant.
Last edited by MrPapi at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by MrPapi
no they don't. they don't sell dehumidifiers in the store,never seen such a thing. as far as I know, when it comes to lowering the humidity you are pretty much s**t out of luck. there are some DIY methods out there such as using desiccant.

That was pretty blunt, and just to spite you, I'm going to prove you wrong.

This humidifier works both ways.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
sorry if I came off as offensive, which wasn't my intention. having a bad day. I simply said that they don't sell dehumidifiers in a lot stores as far as I know.

they are so hard to find I know some people have to use desiccant in the guitar cases to lower the humidity, and I don't how effective they are to lower the humidity in a good amount of time, and they could also lower the humidity too much, but they are worth a try.
Humidity right now is at 79%. That's going for 94805 area code, which would be SF East Bay (Where I am).
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
i saw an electronic dehumidifier at bed, bath and beyond recently. it was small and interesting because you could see the water it was pulling out of the air - a lot, btw. it isn't online at their site, however here are a couple mini dehumidifiers
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10750087
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10750086

you can use these
http://www.zorb-it.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=15
but they work slowly and if you use them in case and open the case, more humidity will get in. you could perhaps keep your guitar in a humidity controlled closet.

or if you go the closer route, you could use one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-Renewable-EDV-300-E-333-Dehumidifer/dp/B000H0XFCS

but remember to keep a good hygrometer in the case or closet because you don't want the humidity to go down below 40%.
Agreed with "about". I bought the Humidipak for both my Gibsons the other day and it seems to be working pretty good. It keeps it around 45% humidity in the case. It has like a weird gel or something in the packs that dries if you need it or allows moisture out if needed. It doesnt have water to drip all over either which was a welcome change from my damp-it. I was kinda leery about putting the damp-it in my guitar even though i would ring it out very well.
I do sure love me them Gibsons boy
You can buy a room dehumidifier which will maintain a fairly constant humidity level. They cost about $200 at places like Home Depot.