I've been thinking about putting an emg 81 into my jackson js30wr. do you think its worth it? the guitar was 300 dollars new and i think it was a good investment. i like the guitar and i want to make it sound and play better. also when i took the guitar to get set up i was told the neck needs to have a small backbow, and my neck's trussrod won't adjust any further, anyone know what i can do, maybe find a better neck?

BTW i play melodic death metal mostly.
The thing about emg's is that it completly drains the original tone out of your guitar, you can put them in a $50 guitar or in a $5000 guitar and it will sound almost identical, when you get into more expensive guitars this can be bad but with cheaper guitars that can actually be an advantage. I have a Jackson JS30rr and i recently put emg's in it and i think it sounds great, i play alot of lamb of god, children of bodom, etc.
As for the truss rod I try not to mess with mine as little as possable so i really cant give any advice there
Actually if you want better than an EMG put in seymour duncan blackouts. I'm putting them in my Jackson JS30rrFR and that should make it sound better.
For your neck problem i would buy a jackson style neck and just replace it on the jackson you have now since it's a bolt-on neck. I would only advise changing the neck if you know what you are doing when it comes to that.
My equipment:
Jackson JS30RR FR (w/ SD AHB-1 in bridge)
Peavey Ultra 112
Digitech RP350
Dunlop KH95 Crybaby
Ibanez XPT700
ISP Decimator
i'll check out the SD blackouts i've been hearing alot about them. i've heard a friend play an esp EC1000 and another friend play an esp EX601 (both with EMGs) through an old peavey ultra half stack and it sounded so perfect so i've been sold on EMGs. anyone know where i can find a decent neck? i'd want a jackson style definately one i could just bolt on. maybe some sharktooth inlays or reverse headstock or something.
ian14892, I say go for it. Just keep the stock pickups just in case you decide to sell the guitar. You can put them back in and keep your EMG's.
Quote by Trickle7052
Actually if you want better than an EMG put in seymour duncan blackouts. I'm putting them in my Jackson JS30rrFR and that should make it sound better.
For your neck problem i would buy a jackson style neck and just replace it on the jackson you have now since it's a bolt-on neck. I would only advise changing the neck if you know what you are doing when it comes to that.

First thing I've got to say is active EMG's and Seymour Duncan Blackouts are both really good pickups. They both sound good but they do sound different from each other. Which one is better is completly personal preference.

Second things is you don't even have your Blackouts yet, so you don't actually know yet. Please wait until you have installed your Blackouts before you say stuff like that. It's not cool to say stuff like that just because other people on this site say it.
Quote by ian14892
i'll check out the SD blackouts i've been hearing alot about them. i've heard a friend play an esp EC1000 and another friend play an esp EX601 (both with EMGs) through an old peavey ultra half stack and it sounded so perfect so i've been sold on EMGs. anyone know where i can find a decent neck? i'd want a jackson style definately one i could just bolt on. maybe some sharktooth inlays or reverse headstock or something.

Check this out this is what me and my one friend are getting for a neck on our senior projects it's only $100. The only thing is it doesn't heve the machine heads or the Jackson lettering on it. I can't tell you if it will work for you or not cause I haven't bought it yet.

http://www.guitarpartsonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_86&products_id=805
My equipment:
Peavey Ultra 112
Digitech RP350
Dunlop KH95 Crybaby
Ibanez XPT700
ISP Decimator
i'd like a real jackson neck(that adjusts properly) but they're pretty pricey on ebay.
Quote by ian14892
i'd like a real jackson neck(that adjusts properly) but they're pretty pricey on ebay.

I can understand that but i was just throwing something out there just in case.
My equipment:
Peavey Ultra 112
Digitech RP350
Dunlop KH95 Crybaby
Ibanez XPT700
ISP Decimator
Amp?
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Quote by ian14892

i know you said this but if you change your mind theres this too:
http://store.guitarfetish.com/ofhe24frnefi.html
and it already has the floyd nut installed...if yours has a FR
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
Quote by Axeaman
Amp?

haha what?? i have a peavey vypyr 75...

and sk8freakrt b-52's are nicee.
Quote by ian14892

and sk8freakrt b-52's are nicee.

haha i know thats why i want one reeealyyyy bad

but it may be hard to find a Jackson style neck without a FR nut route for cheap. most jackson necks seem to have FR's cause alot of Jackson guitars have FR's. personally i cant stand the damn things. but im gonna say Ebay will be your best bet :\

also i might add..about the pickup part, i have the 81x and its quite amazing. i dont think its much if any more expensive than a regular 81 so go for that if you can/want
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
Last edited by sk8freakrt at Jan 4, 2010,
i'll check out the 81x too. a band around my town called miss johansen must die (death metal) had 2 guitarists and both had b-52 AT-100's and they sounded sick.