Does anyone know what it might cost to do the following:
new electrical system
new pickups built into the neck
new knobs and tuner

I'm looking at rebuilding my brother's guitar. It has great sentimental value, and I'm told this is what it needs (plus strings).
Your thoughts are much appreciated.
its cheap if you do it yourself.... just the cost of all the parts...all you really need is an allan wrench, a soldering gun, and screwdrivers, and of course, your parts...

if you take it to the shop, they'll charge you alot....
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
Electrical system - depends on what we're exactly talking here, if it's just new pots and switches and wires then it won't be expensive and honestly you should do this yourself. If it's new pickups well you're looking at a bit more cash depending on what pickups you get.

pickups built into the neck - this I'm not too sure what you were told about but you might want to double check on what they meant.

knobs and tuners - once again pending on who you go with they can be cheap ($5 for a knob max, $60-ish for a set of tuners) or not to expensive. And then with the tuners you might need to drill new holes for them to be fitted to the guitar.
you should do it yourself...Its really not that hard.... it is just as important to learn about your guitar and play your guitar well.... You would have more respect for your instrument if you put in a little work on your guitar...
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
What type of guitar?

You can get a full Strat Pot/Switch/Jack kit for $16 bucks at GFS.

You can get a good set of PUPS there for under $100 too.

You can get prewired pickguards (strat style) even cheaper...but quality isn't super.

As far as doing the wiring...it's simple. A soldering iron, solder, instructions and the internet and you can have one rewired in a couple hours, even if it's your first time. At least that's about what it took me.
Could you please reply clarifying some of this a bit better? It's a bit confusing. Pickups built into the neck? That doesn't make much sense unless it's one of those types of Gibsons. And by the way, You could put the electronics in yourself well enough but the tuners are a bigger issue. Although you could do it yourself they come in all sorts of sizes and gear ratios so if you get one that's too big you may be able to make it work after reaming the tuner hole but you may not. It could be too tall and then the string angle from the nut won't be right.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Wow, thanks everyone for your replies.
In the interest of brevity (and less drama) I didn't tell you the whole story. What happened was I leant the guitar to my ex-brother-in-law for some time and he had all this work done on the guitar. Now that I'm moving I need to get it back but he's holding it ransom for the money he put into it. He says he spent $300 to get all the work done (and didn't do it himself) and I needed to figure out if he was being reasonable with the demand. I can't clarify on the work that was done because this is all he told me, but it sounds like he's aiming about 2x too high?
Quote by ekfdba
Wow, thanks everyone for your replies.
In the interest of brevity (and less drama) I didn't tell you the whole story. What happened was I leant the guitar to my ex-brother-in-law for some time and he had all this work done on the guitar. Now that I'm moving I need to get it back but he's holding it ransom for the money he put into it. He says he spent $300 to get all the work done (and didn't do it himself) and I needed to figure out if he was being reasonable with the demand. I can't clarify on the work that was done because this is all he told me, but it sounds like he's aiming about 2x too high?

If he bought high end materials and went to a shop that charged him up the ass then $300 could be a real price. But just because he spent $300 doesn't mean it was a $300 dollar job. If he did it himself theres no way the price could have gone that high. He's an idiot, take back what is yours.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
OK, Did you give him an A-OK to mod it? Also, What kind of a guitar is it? Fender? Gibson? Esquire? Schecter?
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jan 8, 2010,