I want to start really breaking down different styles of music and get really good at them. I thought Blues and Jazz would be a good place to start.

I can read jazz music but the soloing is hard for me.
Any tips for either genre?
Improvise. Lots.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
You'd be best of starting with the blues. A lot of the elements of that style are going to come back.
And for the jazz part : Jazz is by far one of the most difficult styles out there because there is so much theory goin in. I'de reccomand to study the chord shapes that they use like m7,m9,... That will make the lead playing make more sense.

Anyway, hope this helps
In either case, work through some of the early stuff from the genre and learn the rhythm parts, loop or record them, and then learn to play the solos over the top. It will help you learn how to improvise and give you a vocabulary to work with. Then you can branch out into doing your own thing.

I would start with Live at the Cook County Jail by BB King for blues, and Smokin' At The Half Note by Wes Montgomery for jazz.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Jan 4, 2010,
First, learn all your modes. Arpeggio-ing is also very useful for soloing in jazz and blues.
I'm guessing you play guitar, so I'd recommend listening to some good jazz or blues guitarists (Wes Montgomery, Pat Metheny, John Scofield to name a few).
In addition, you need to buy a Real Book. If you haven't heard of this before, its a huge book full of lead sheets of all the best jazz tunes out there. The book is essential for all jazz musicians, especially ones just learning about jazz.

Lastly - this is also random, but a little soloing kinda thing that sounds real nice is when u play a minor 7 arpeggio of the V chord if you're just chilling of off one Dominant 7th chord. For example, you're groovin off of a G7 chord (or its the beginning of a 12 bar blues - whatever u want), playing a Dmin7 arpeggio/some notes in the chord can sound real tasty. The same applies for A7 (Emin7 arpeggio) B7 (F#min7 arpeggio) and so on.

Hope that helps you a little bit.
Quote by Led Lennon
First, learn all your modes. Arpeggio-ing is also very useful for soloing in jazz and blues.
I'm guessing you play guitar, so I'd recommend listening to some good jazz or blues guitarists (Wes Montgomery, Pat Metheny, John Scofield to name a few).
In addition, you need to buy a Real Book. If you haven't heard of this before, its a huge book full of lead sheets of all the best jazz tunes out there. The book is essential for all jazz musicians, especially ones just learning about jazz.

Good call on the Real Book. It's a rite of passage, no doubt.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

yeah, i own a real book, and have been doing a lot of reading from it. Im very satisfied by how much it has helped. But the improvising solos with all the key changes makes it really difficult. But i will definately download some blues and jazz musicians to get some influence.

Thanks!
Quote by JSX
yeah, i own a real book, and have been doing a lot of reading from it. Im very satisfied by how much it has helped. But the improvising solos with all the key changes makes it really difficult. But i will definately download some blues and jazz musicians to get some influence.

Thanks!

The key is to transcribe the solos (either in tab or ideally standard notation) and analyze how they fit with the chords. That's where the real learning comes in. Then of course just the mechanics of being able to play the parts.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12